Car sick

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have issues with their Frenchies (or other dogs) getting extremely car sick? Jax has been getting car sick since July and it seems to be getting worse and worse. I bought a booster seat so he is up and high and can see out the windows but it doesn't matter. He will throw up even if it is a 10 minute car ride. He will sit there and drool like a St. Bernard. I think now he is getting anxiety as well about going in the car. I take him to fun places so it's not just rides to the vet. I tried Happy Traveler over the weekend and it did not work at all. I have read about ginger and am thinking of giving that a try as well. I have heard that most dogs grow out of it but not all. It really makes me sad that he hates the car so much and gets sick every time he gets it.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
The only one that gets car sick is our Beagle. None of our bullies or Frenchie get car sick, thank goodness.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
No help here, none of my dogs have ever had car sickness. Does it help to put him in the front seat?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
No help here, none of my dogs have ever had car sickness. Does it help to put him in the front seat?

I've tried the front seat too and that does not work. I will see if giving him a little ginger works. If not, I sure do hope he grows out of it!

winginit66

Reaction score
Sorry, No help here either. My ex is a vet, I will ask him if he knows of any products.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, No help here either. My ex is a vet, I will ask him if he knows of any products.

That would be great! It makes me so sad that he gets sick every time he is in the car and I would love to find something other than Dramamine that will help him be comfortable and enjoy car rides.

winginit66

Reaction score
I found this surfing...
Dogs that don’t outgrow motion sickness and don’t respond to conditioning may benefit from the use of medication. There are a variety of over-the-counter and prescription medications that may quell your dog’s motion sickness symptoms.

These include:
Anti-nausea drugs
Antihistamines, which can lessen dog motion sickness, reduce drooling, and offer sedation
Phenothiazine and related drugs, which reduce vomiting and provide sedation

winginit66

Reaction score
more surfing info:
Motion sickness in dogs occurs for the same reason as it does in humans: the movement of the vehicle over-stimulates the inner ear, which controls balance. Like humans, it affects younger dogs more than older ones, as their balance has not fully developed yet. Puppies that get motion sickness often outgrow it. Good news!!! (I thing Jax is still a puppy?)
What I've been reading says try sitting with them in a non-moving car, then progress to short trips, try rolling window down for fresh cool air (or use A/C).

I hope something helps! I would be super upset if Gidget couldn't ride w/ me!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
more surfing info:
Motion sickness in dogs occurs for the same reason as it does in humans: the movement of the vehicle over-stimulates the inner ear, which controls balance. Like humans, it affects younger dogs more than older ones, as their balance has not fully developed yet. Puppies that get motion sickness often outgrow it. Good news!!! (I thing Jax is still a puppy?)
What I've been reading says try sitting with them in a non-moving car, then progress to short trips, try rolling window down for fresh cool air (or use A/C).

I hope something helps! I would be super upset if Gidget couldn't ride w/ me!

Yes, he is only 6 months so I really, really hope he does outgrow it. I usually do roll the windows down so he gets fresh air, I bought him a booster seat so he is up high and can see out the windows, I've tried putting him in the front seat. Nothing works. In the summer I did give him Dramamine when we went on a road trip and he didn't get sick but he slept the whole time. I don't want to give him Dramamine for short car rides. Benadryl was suggested and I did some research on that and it is not supposed to make them as groggy as Dramamine so I will give that a try as well. My vet suggested the same thing about just sitting in the car, then sitting in the car and turn the engine on, then go around the block, etc. I know that will take some time and hopefully it works because I would love to take Jax on more car rides but it just breaks my heart seeing him get so sick!

Debra

Reaction score
I get car/air/boat sick & have my entire life. Like suggested by Anne, a/c or fresh air, front seat, small meal eaten before hand all help.