Itchy Dog

SamiB

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if you could help with our situation with our 1 year old french bulldog Coco. Over the past couple of months she has become really itchy. When I say itchy she will scratch and chew all day long. She is making her skin soo sore and in places it’s bleeding. She has seen the vet when it first started she doesn’t have fleas and is on a good flea and wormer tablet each month. The vet suggested changing her food to grain and wheat free which we done and to give her a piriton each day. So I have also researched the web and found a few things to try as well so she has coconut oil on her food each day and read that can help with skin irritations. I also give her natural yoghurt everyday. Only a couple of spoonfuls but read this can help too. I brought from our local pet store a good shampoo that was recommended for sensitive skin so have been bathing her in this with warm water once a week to try and help sooth her skin.
So none of this is working she is getting worse ��. I’m now wondering if it’s behavioural? I have seen it can be anxiety related but she is with one of us ALL the time, we have 2 other dogs so she has company all day long and is given plenty of love and cuddles so it’s not for attention as she gets all of mine lol. If anyone has any suggestion we can try I would be soo grateful as this is driving us mad having to constantly say ‘coco stop itching’ so she isn’t ripping her skin off ��. I feel like that all I do now and I’m not having the fun with her I was because I’m always moaning at her for scratching and biting herself.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
It could very well be environmental allergies. Jax is allergic to everything green outside. He gets the Cytopoint injection which helps tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
It could possibly be both environmental and food allergies. It's worth switching her to a frozen raw dog food for a few weeks to see if that helps with the food allergy, Duck is a good protein to start with . Also wipe her paws and belly with an unscented baby wipe after being outside. And a shampoon weekly is good as you are doing to clean off pollen. Make sure you are using hypoallergenic cleaning products in your house. If all that doesn't help see if you can get vet to give her cytopoint injection every 4-6 weeks as suggested. You can also try giving her fish oil orally to help with itching. It's always good to give probiotics like you're doing, milk kefir is a little stronger than yoghurt, but you may want to switch to live sauerkraut, fermented fish stock, or a commercial probiotic in case she has any milk allergies, at least during this allergic period.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Try changing the food that does not have chicken in it to see if that helps. It could also be environmental allergies as Henri has and the Cytopoint injection helps him.

mhuinker

Reaction score
It could very well be environmental allergies. Jax is allergic to everything green outside. He gets the Cytopoint injection which helps tremendously.

Hi Citty - we have an extremely itchy girl and am wondering how your experience with Cytopoint has been? How long has Jax been on it? How often does he get the injection?

Thanks,
Michelle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Repose

Reaction score
Hi Citty - we have an extremely itchy girl and am wondering how your experience with Cytopoint has been? How long has Jax been on it? How often does he get the injection?

Thanks,
Michelle

I just did the Cytopoint injection for the first time for my 1yo girl Maple last Friday and her red spots and incessant itching were gone in 24 hours. I couldn’t believe it could be solved and cleared up that fast as I’ve been trying everything since spring sprung and she seemed to develop what I assume are environmental allergies.

As soon as she’d wake she’d drag herself across the floor and begin scratching herself raw on her belly. I had her spayed on Friday and really wanted her as comfortable as possible during recovery and asked for the injection after seeing success stories on this site and I’m glad to report it worked for me and was a reasonable cost. A full week on and no itching at all. Crazy.

My vet says the injection will likely be needed every 4 weeks for the first 3 months and then every 6-8 weeks from there on, just monitor for symptoms recurring.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Michelle

We get them for Lambeau every eight weeks... awesome results. No itching and his ears remain clear as well. I think we are on our second or third year and I would highly recommend

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Jax has been getting Cytopoint for maybe 3 years now. I give them every 10-12 weeks. It has helped tremendously!!!

lillyuk

Reaction score
Hi Sami, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? We assumed our Dachshund had fleas as she wouldn’t stop itching for weeks, so we took her to the vet and they confirmed she didn’t have fleas, but then it continued so I took her to another vet and guess what… they said she had fleas. I even checked myself, to begin with, and I couldn’t find any evidence but it turns out the little buggers were there!

After I read an article online, some prescription pills and some good shampoo sorted the issue out. Worked a treat. This was the site that recommended it. xx