My French bulldog keeps sniffling and sometimes coughing

Lola22

Reaction score
So we just got a 10 week year old French Puppy she is the nicest dog and so loving. The day we got her, her stomach was so bloated but she was still being active, we woke up and she wasn’t herself, she didn’t eat, and we knew it was a problem because the first thing we learned is she is obsessed with food. So we brought her to animal hospital and they gave her fluids and dewormer meds even though she got dewormed couple days before and also medicine, we got home and she was active and being herself, now when she goes bathroom it’s very soft, she’s on a boiled rice and chicken diet for now and we put the dewormer meds in her food. Her stool is very soft and sometimes bloody. Not much blood.

So 2 things the blood could maybe be from the dewormer?

2) what’s up with her sniffling and coughing like she has a cold? Please send replies!!!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your problems!

1)Did your vet test stool for coccidiosis as a cause for bloody stool? That wouldn't be susceptible to dewormer, you'd have to use :
Sulfadimethoxine (Albon oral suspension 5%):
55 mg/kg PO once, followed 24 h later by 27.5 mg/kg PO q 24 h in dogs.
Treatment is continued until clinical signs have resolved for 48 hours

2)Your puppy may have bordetella as well ( kennel cough) . It goes away without treatment in adults but usually needs to be treated in puppies.

Usual treatments:
Doxycycline (5 mg/kg PO q 12 h) is the antimicrobial of choice (most Bordetella isolates are susceptible).
Treat adults for 14-21 days, young (growing) animals for 7-9 days (reduces risk of discoloration of teeth); or
Amoxicillin-clavulanate (12.5-25 mg/kg PO q 12 h); or
Trimethoprim-sulfonamide (15-30 mg/kg PO q 12 h)

Lola22

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your problems!

1)Did your vet test stool for coccidiosis as a cause for bloody stool? That wouldn't be susceptible to dewormer, you'd have to use :
Sulfadimethoxine (Albon oral suspension 5%):
55 mg/kg PO once, followed 24 h later by 27.5 mg/kg PO q 24 h in dogs.
Treatment is continued until clinical signs have resolved for 48 hours

2)Your puppy may have bordetella as well ( kennel cough) . It goes away without treatment in adults but usually needs to be treated in puppies.

Usual treatments:
Doxycycline (5 mg/kg PO q 12 h) is the antimicrobial of choice (most Bordetella isolates are susceptible).
Treat adults for 14-21 days, young (growing) animals for 7-9 days (reduces risk of discoloration of teeth); or
Amoxicillin-clavulanate (12.5-25 mg/kg PO q 12 h); or
Trimethoprim-sulfonamide (15-30 mg/kg PO q 12 h)

Thank you, will bring her to vet hospital right now. She doesn’t have her check up until the 22nd. So I think going now is the best choice.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, will bring her to vet hospital right now. She doesn’t have her check up until the 22nd. So I think going now is the best choice.

please keeP us posted

Lola22

Reaction score
So the vet gave her Doxycycline, for what I believe she has is Kennel cough. She’s 3.3 at her vet visit but she looks like she’s gaining some weight as her ribs are becoming less visible. She has her coughing attacks but she’s so playful and active and drinks and eats normally. Any tips on dry noses? And any in store meds I could get for her coughing?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Hopefully the doxycycline will make her cough better. I use coconut oil on my dog's nose when it gets dry. I'd also recommend giving her a probiotic spaced apart a few hours from the antibiotic- either a commercial one like Probiotic Miracle, live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, milk kefir etc.

🆕 Latest posts