9 weeks old puppy diarrhea

Sylwia

Reaction score
Hi all ! Im new in here and got my puppy 2 weeks ago . He is now 9 weeks old. Everything was fine until last night . He was only on dry food ( Royal Canine for puppies mini). There was no problems until last night , when he got bad diarrhea in the evening. I gave him probiotic . He was sleeping all night . Did not give him food yet as im trying to make sure he is better . Is there anything else I can do ? Is that common ? There is no blood in poop and he was not in contact with other dogs. I believe he did not eat anything as well. Only one thing comming to my mind is that he had lots of excitement yestarday , first visitors as well. Also I gave him 1 tea spoon of natural yoghurt day before .Please help !Screenshot 2020-06-03 09.56.53.png

Carson1834

Reaction score
When my pup was around 11 weeks he randomly got diarrhea out of nowhere. His poo was perfect prior to this. The vet ran a fecal sample and everything was clear.

She gave me a powder probiotic that I used for 10 days. I also fed him boiled chicken and plain white rice with the probiotic for a few days. As his poo slowly started getting back to normal, I gradually added his kibble back in. After about a week or so, he was fully transitioned to 100% his dog food.

His poo has been perfect since then so not sure what caused it. Maybe it’s just a common thing for puppies. I’d get a fecal test at vet first though to rule out any parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Royal Canin is not a high quality food so you can switch him to something better. Some brands highly recommended are Fromm, Acana, Zignature, Orijen, Earthborn Holistics, Open Farm.

Over excitement can cause diarrhea. I remember the first few times Jax went to daycare he always had diarrhea for a couple days afterwards. Another cause for diarrhea can be a parasite such as giardia so if it continues, I would have the vet do a fecal test.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
You have some good advice above. It could be the excitement, or he could have picked something up from the yard. There is no telling, it is normal for pups to get it from time to time. the main thing is that it goes away in a day. If it last longer than a day, or so, they need to see a vet, as they can get dehydrated so quickly at a young age. Pure pumpkin can help with the diarrhea also, but not the pie kind. Just need a spoonful a couple times a day.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How is he doing?

Team gave great advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk