Food recommendation other than Fromm?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
In August I switched Jax to Fromm Pork & Peas and Beef Frittata and he was constantly going after his paws scratching and chewing on them so I switched him to Fromm Chicken A La Veg which he has been on for a little over a month. Over the last few days, he has been going at his paws again and his stool has been very loose. I know a lot of people here feed their Frenchies Fromm but I'm wondering if there are other brands that anyone is using that they can recommend. There are so many different brands of food that it makes my dizzy looking at them all.

winginit66

Reaction score
I am beginning to feed Gidget Blue (Wilderness?) I can't remember now. She has got something going on that has been breaking her out in hives (something causing little bumps at varying degrees of severity). When I got home last night she was covered. Have allergy testing scheduled to be done. We may be switching again...

mhuinker

Reaction score
I am beginning to feed Gidget Blue (Wilderness?) I can't remember now. She has got something going on that has been breaking her out in hives (something causing little bumps at varying degrees of severity). When I got home last night she was covered. Have allergy testing scheduled to be done. We may be switching again...

Aww, poor Gidget. I hope she gets over her itchies soon! :(

Debra

Reaction score
I have used Nutri Source Lamb & Rice for about 5 years now with awesome results.
I have heard good things about Blue Buffalo also

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Margie's breeder/vet had her on Natural Balance LID (limited ingredient diet) Sweet Potato and Whitefish. She really liked it and seemed like a high quality good food. We switched for two reasons, Fromm was a better price for what seemed like a better quality, and sometimes she had a greasy smell of fish on her coat. Ha I really couldn't stand the smell sometimes that would come from her after eating right away.

Willowrun

Reaction score
Well Bindie and all of my dogs are on Dave's Natural Easy to digest....no corn,no wheat,no soy,good vitamins,rice,oatmeal and gut flora......knock on would,she is 10 months old and not one issue and although she is cream,no real eye stains either. I do wipe her face every other day with a warm cloth and cotton ball her eyes with peroxide to keep her sparkly! Lol....oh,NO treats ever....red,green,yellow...dyes make them allergic and no glutens!

Babette

Reaction score
Babette was constantly chewing at her paws, had really red itchy ears, started to develop a bad odor, and was itching herself to the point of bleeding due to the rash she was breaking out with. My mother in law also has a dog who's highly allergic to just about everything. She's the one who turned me onto California Naturals. So far we've tried both the kangaroo and lamb mix and within a month she's almost 100% better! I know it can be somewhat hard to find, but it might be worth a try. It worked for me when nothing else did.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Babette was constantly chewing at her paws, had really red itchy ears, started to develop a bad odor, and was itching herself to the point of bleeding due to the rash she was breaking out with. My mother in law also has a dog who's highly allergic to just about everything. She's the one who turned me onto California Naturals. So far we've tried both the kangaroo and lamb mix and within a month she's almost 100% better! I know it can be somewhat hard to find, but it might be worth a try. It worked for me when nothing else did.

The vet's office said to try a limited ingredient food with salmon or kangaroo, as they are less likely to be allergic to that and I had no idea where to find kangaroo! As of right now, I have him on Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Salmon and Potato. His coat though seems to be a bit greasy and he is starting to shed again. I will look into the California Naturals and see if I can find it.

Babette

Reaction score
We couldn't find it at the big pet food chain stores but had better luck at the mom and pop places. I'm sure you can get it online. Best of luck. :)

stitch

Reaction score
I have stitch on a limited diet of Salmon, sweet potatoes, apple, just add carrots. Last week I tried turkey and what a mess. Up all night, throwing up and breathing was labored. This was a 1/4 cup of Turkey, stopped immediately. its taken 4 days and he is getting better. When to 3 different vets and same old story, its not allergies.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I feed blue buffalo freedom puppy. My eb get wilderness salmon and chicken. Everyone is finally doing well. I had to switch Ollie five times before we found the right food for him.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have stitch on a limited diet of Salmon, sweet potatoes, apple, just add carrots. Last week I tried turkey and what a mess. Up all night, throwing up and breathing was labored. This was a 1/4 cup of Turkey, stopped immediately. its taken 4 days and he is getting better. When to 3 different vets and same old story, its not allergies.

So sorry to hear that! If it is not allergies, then what was it? Jax has been on Pacific Stream Taste of The Wild for about a month now which is a grain free, salmon/potato based dry food. So far so good.

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
Bella eats Grain free Nutro, she has been on it since she turned one and does well. No allergies as of yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Babette

Reaction score
Poor baby @ Stitch. That must have been horrible for him. I'm glad he's starting to feel better.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Might try FROMM Game bird. Gema was on Pork and Peas and she was chewing her paw, we switched her to Game Bird and she cleared right up.

Diesel

Reaction score
I feed diesel blue buffalo freedom puppy food & she loves it. Haven't had any problems with her stool or excessive gas.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

mhuinker

Reaction score
Leo seems to do well on "4 Health", which can be found at Tractor Supply. It is grain free and that is what his previous owner/breeder was feeding him. His skin and coat is healthy. I had all intentions of feeding my Frenchie Fromm, but if it isn't broke, why fix it! :) So he remains on 4 Health.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be switching foods again! Jax has been on Pacific Stream Taste of the Wild (grain free, salmon based) for about 6 - 8 weeks now and he is starting to chew at his paws again and his stool is getting a little loose. I am going to have a fecal test done tomorrow just to make sure he does not have a parasite (he had giarda a few weeks ago) and if that comes back negative, the food search is back on! This will be his 7th food change and it's definitely getting frustrating.