Third Eyelid

KZeng

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to the Frenchie family, and I have oh so many questions! The one on my mind now has to do with my puppy's third eyelids. Nike is 7 weeks old and her 3rd eyelid is quite visible and red in both eyes. Is this normal for her age, or is it indicative of problems? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

20200819_193552.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! What a cutie

Yes, seems a little swollen. I would have vet check, to confirm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Could be an infection, so I would get it checked out. Plus the breeder should have never let that pup go so early. 8 weeks is the bare minimum age they should be let go.

jschmidt78

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to the Frenchie family, and I have oh so many questions! The one on my mind now has to do with my puppy's third eyelids. Nike is 7 weeks old and her 3rd eyelid is quite visible and red in both eyes. Is this normal for her age, or is it indicative of problems? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

View attachment 14081

My Jack has the same issue. The third eyelid will swell out of nowhere then just go away. The vet didn’t seem to know anything either.
95ecc243e62857241c17f2e67d262eab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I posted in the other thread about this...this exact thing happened to my Frenchie. When we first got her she played rough a few times and her eye looked identical to your photos. I took her to the vet, he wasn't overly concerned but prescribed NeoPolyDex Ophthalmic Ointment. He explained it had a steroid effect and it worked within minutes - the red swelling disappeared and it popped back to normal. He said the condition could lead to cherry eye but that it often bothers the owners (aesthetic wise) more than the dog so he would do surgery if I wanted it but that he didn't recommend it. I had to use the ointment a few times but it truly has not happened again for about two years, but if it does, I just dab some on the actual red part and it disappears in minutes.