Puppy too thin?

gigimarie

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a first time Frenchie owner. I feel like my little guy is too thin. I have had him for a week and a half and he is now 9 weeks old. At his first Vet visit since coming home, he weighed 5.3 lbs. He tested positive for Giardia. He just completed a round of Panacur and Metronidazole. It was prescribed for 5 days. His stool is solid to semi-solid. He drinks plenty of water but does not seem to eat a lot. I have continued with the Nutrisource Puppy food his breeder fed him. When he does eat, it seems as if he has a hard time chewing it so I softened it a little with water. I have seen that some people have fed their dogs pumpkin and rice. I am willing to try anything to get the little guy to eat more. He sleeps a lot but the number of hours he stays awake have been increasing. When he is awake, he's very rambunctious and playful chasing the kids all over. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I feel like he has gotten longer but not fuller. Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Attachments

• thumbnail-3.jpeg
    thumbnail-3.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 143
  • thumbnail-2.jpeg
    thumbnail-2.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 145
  • thumbnail-4.jpeg
    thumbnail-4.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 130

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
He is a little on the thin side, but not too bad. Just keep giving him his food and feed him three times a day until he is around 7 months of age. At that time you can switch him to adult food. Sometimes you can use toppers like Feta cheese, or even Stella and Chewys freeze dried food. Pups should get plenty of food and water as they are growing.

gigimarie

Reaction score
Thanks so much!!! I will try your suggestions. I leave his food out so that it is available for him all the time. It is so helpful to receive advice from those of you who have been there! Greatly appreciated.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, a little thin but nothing to be overly concerned about. The giardia and antibiotics could have messed up his gut so just keep feeding him and he’ll get back on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Welcome to you and Tucker.

As pointed out, he might be just coming off the effects of his treatment - keep us posted.

gigimarie

Reaction score
Thank You everyone! That's a relief. So happy to have the advice! I'll keep you posted. He did seem to eat more yesterday.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you aren’t already, you can add in a probiotic to his diet which will help keep a healthy gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Gang got you covered.... what a cutie pie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gigimarie

Reaction score
Thank you all so much! Any recommendations for a probiotic?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! Any recommendations for a probiotic?

Herbsmith microflora is good, as is refrigerated sauerkraut, milk keifer or raw goats milk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk