New Frenchie Family

CaliFrenchie

Reaction score
Hello! We brought home our first Frenchie a week ago; he'll be 9 weeks old on Saturday. Our 4-year-old dog is...tolerating him (ha!), and the little guy is quickly learning and growing. He's thoroughly entertaining. I've appreciated all the advice on this site, especially regarding sleep, crate training, potty training. One issue we've had is that our puppy poops probably 8-10 times a day, including twice during the night! The odor is horrific. I wonder if that's typical, possibly because he's teething or just had his vaccinations, or if he might be allergic to something in his kibble. He is constantly looking for more food (silly boy). We feed him about 1 cup a day, split into 3 meals. (He was 4.5 lbs. when we brought him home.)

Thanks to everyone for your wise and kind advice throughout this site. I'm happy to have found you all.

Attachments

• Pup.jpg
    Pup.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 149

Jeffc

Reaction score
He’s beautiful. Frenchies are the absolute best I regret not getting one sooner!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi and welcome :)

Certain brands of kibble yield more poop (and stinkier poop) than others. What are you feeding? When mine ate Acana kibble she pooped 4 or 5 times per day. Mine is on raw and poops exactly twice - once in the morning, once in the evening, and it is a small amount and firm. Also, I've found that if you feed too much, the poop can get loose - more like softserve ice cream. Splitting meals up when the dog is this young is a great idea. Mine also gets an appropriate amount of food and is still trying to scrounge up food throughout the day - she also gets a few treats mid day for a snack. I think that's probably a Frenchie thing.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What are you currently feeding? And it’s 1 cup total per day? A growing puppy should probably get more food than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliFrenchie

Reaction score
What are you currently feeding? And it’s 1 cup total per day? A growing puppy should probably get more food than that.

Thanks! I was going by the amount suggested on the bag -- 1 cup for a 4.5-lb. pup. (Don't the manufacturers usually suggest more than is actually needed? Not sure.) He also gets training treats throughout the day.

Overall update: About 10 minutes after I sent my original post, our vet called to let me know the puppy has giardia. Ugh! I imagine that at least partially explains the numerous poops, and definitely the stink! He's been on medicine now for 2 days and hopefully will continue feeling better throughout the week.

CaliFrenchie

Reaction score
Hi and welcome :)

Certain brands of kibble yield more poop (and stinkier poop) than others. What are you feeding? When mine ate Acana kibble she pooped 4 or 5 times per day. Mine is on raw and poops exactly twice - once in the morning, once in the evening, and it is a small amount and firm. Also, I've found that if you feed too much, the poop can get loose - more like softserve ice cream. Splitting meals up when the dog is this young is a great idea. Mine also gets an appropriate amount of food and is still trying to scrounge up food throughout the day - she also gets a few treats mid day for a snack. I think that's probably a Frenchie thing.

We've been feeding him IAMS, which is what the breeder provided, though after reading a lot of posts on here I will likely switch to Fromm or Farmina. I'm hesitant to make too many changes until the pup feels better (ie, no more giardia -- see post above!) and more settled. He's definitely thriving, though -- gained weight in this past week, which is a good sign!

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Welcome, hopefully; the giardia treatment improves things.

What a cute pup; let us know when his name goes from TBD to D.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I hope that your poor pup recovers quickly. He's lucky to have you in his corner!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot we’re talking about feeding a Frenchie, I have an English Bulldog puppy and they’re bigger so 1 cup sounded like such a small amount lol.

But yes giardia can definitely affect how many times they are pooping. And as you’ve figured out, Iams is not the best food. Some other high quality brands are Zignature, Acana and Open Farm.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot we’re talking about feeding a Frenchie, I have an English Bulldog puppy and they’re bigger so 1 cup sounded like such a small amount lol.

But yes giardia can definitely affect how many times they are pooping. And as you’ve figured out, Iams is not the best food. Some other high quality brands are Zignature, Acana and Open Farm.

Agree here.... better quality food is needed and giardia would cause the multiple poo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaliFrenchie

Reaction score
Welcome, hopefully; the giardia treatment improves things.

What a cute pup; let us know when his name goes from TBD to D.

He has a name! My kids decided to call him Niall. Still figuring out a lot of digestive issues, but otherwise we are enjoying him a ton. He's very entertaining! :)