Explosions all over the house... please help!

KZeng

Reaction score
I am sorry for the gross topic, but I'm desperate! My 5-month old frenchie boy, Hector, has had explosive diarrhea for a couple weeks. I took him to the vet when it started, and they tested him for parvo (negative) and intestinal parasites (also negative). They gave me an antibiotic in case, which he has finished, but it hasn't helped. In fact, his diarrhea is worse! He used to be really good at not pooping in the house, but now he can't hold it and it is EVERYWHERE. He has been on the same food since he started eating solids (Blue Buffalo Puppy) so I don't think it is dietary, unless he has suddenly developed an intolerance (is that possible?). He still has a TON of energy and a good appetite. The diarrhea is just out of control. Help?!20200901_193651.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the poo runny, mucus, bloody or strange color too it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KZeng

Reaction score
Is the poo runny, mucus, bloody or strange color too it?

It is very runny... almost watery. Like the consistancy of applesauce.

It isnt mucousy, and I don't see blood in it.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
It is very runny... almost watery. Like the consistancy of applesauce.

It isnt mucousy, and I don't see blood in it.

How much food are you feeding at each meal? Could it be too much

KZeng

Reaction score
How much food are you feeding at each meal? Could it be too much

I haven't changed anything about his feeding routine... he eats the same food, same amounts (about a half-cup 3 times a day)...

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
A food intolerance or allergy could occur at any time. Did the vet test specifically for giardia? Not all vets do that test. Have you tried giving our pumpkin, not the pie filling? You can also try a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gigimarie

Reaction score
I have been giving my puppy pumpkin and rice along with his kibble. It has improved his appetite and helps firm up his stool. My puppy does have Giardia. I use plain organic pumpkin and cooked white rice. Good luck. I know it can be so frustrating.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=4255]KZeng[/MENTION] put him on a bland diet, boiled chicken or cooked hamburger and rice. Have him tested for giardia. Plus try the plain pumpkin. Just as spoonful a couple times a day.

bigislandgrrl

Reaction score
If its explosive and shooting out under pressure its most likely giardia. Take a fecal sample to your vet for testing. Its hard to get rid of, requires antibiotics.

CaliFrenchie

Reaction score
Our pup (almost 11 weeks) had giardia and needed two rounds of meds before the diarrhea went away. It sounds similar to what you're experiencing; I think it's definitely worth having him tested for a parasite. Maybe a gross topic, but not as gross as all the poop cleanup! Ha! I feel your pain.