Playing or Fighting

Panaya

Reaction score
We have a 5 month old French male that we got at 8 weeks- so basically he was the king of the castle. We just recently (about a week ago) got our girl who is 9 weeks. They are both adorable and the loves of my life. My concern is playtime. Frankie is very rough with Fiona and does not leave her alone. Sometimes she wants to play and sometimes she wants to explore. Well, he wont let her get a break. He chases her around until she gets very agitated, growls and bites his neck and face (lip area) We break them up for a while but the minute we put her within reach he starts at it again. He's constantly smelling her and at times we've caught him humping her. Help!!!

Jeffc

Reaction score
We have a 5 month old French male that we got at 8 weeks- so basically he was the king of the castle. We just recently (about a week ago) got our girl who is 9 weeks. They are both adorable and the loves of my life. My concern is playtime. Frankie is very rough with Fiona and does not leave her alone. Sometimes she wants to play and sometimes she wants to explore. Well, he wont let her get a break. He chases her around until she gets very agitated, growls and bites his neck and face (lip area) We break them up for a while but the minute we put her within reach he starts at it again. He's constantly smelling her and at times we've caught him humping her. Help!!!

We had a similar situation with our two Frenchies we got our male and when he was about 10 months old we bought a female puppy. I would guess that it’s just the newness and it will subside. As far as the humping we got both of ours fixed and I have to imagine that helping resolve this issue.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Humping can also be a sign of showing dominance.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep doing what you are, but give them at least a month to get settled with each other’s and learn each other’s limits.

mrsclark

Reaction score
I was also going to ask so this is good to see. My Sassy is 7 months and the new boy, Groot, is 8 weeks. Sassy wont leave him alone at all. She puts her paw on his head and pushes him down or stands over top of him. she isn't growling or barking. Groot is making all the noise in the world. There are other times she will lay down and roll over in front of him while playing too. I wonder if she is trying to be dominant but then she does make submissive moves also. I don't want either of them to be dominant, I am the big dog.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Keep doing what you are doing and limit their play time. The pup needs plenty of rest and also play time. But limit the play time for now until she gets a few months older. He will settle down some once the new wears off. Plus when she gets older, she will put him in his place.