Post-neuter recovery time?

MauiJones

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here, my frenchie Maui is 7 month's old and just got his neuter this past Saturday! I was so nervous to get the procedure done but after reading up on it I figured it was best. My issue currently is controlling his activity and high energy levels. Has anyone else had experience with needing to keep their puppy limited from activity? He loves hopping around and playing tug which we have been stopping him lately but I feel he may be becoming depressed. He also usually sleeps on our bed with a ramp to go up and down but we have had to keep him in an inflated e-collar with a comfy bed on the floor but he is still pretty sad. I guess my questions would be how long did it typically take for other frenchies to heal from neutering and when I should possibly let him go back up and down his ramp. The vet says the recommended time is 2 weeks but were only on day 4 and I already feel so guilty 😅 he doesn't seem to be bothered by his incision at all and it seems to be healing nicely. Any suggestions or stories will be helpful!

Repose

Reaction score
I was home with my pups all day thankfully after their neuter/spay and I was in the same situation. Just felt terrible for them.
What the vet recommended is truthfully best for the pup, minimizes the risks of infection etc.

But with that said, I removed the collars off my two after about 3 days. It’s way scarier with a female as the incision is literally keeping her insides, inside but as long as your boy isn’t licking himself you should be alright. I think on about day 6 I gave in and let them start playing without jumping/running and we had no issues. Luckily. And I do stress that they are both velcro dogs and were attached to me the whole time so I could monitor them.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I never used cones on either of my males after a neuter as they couldn't reach the area. They both bounced back the next day and wanted to play. I know I didn't wait a full 2 weeks. A neuter is easier to heal from then a spay. I would say wait as long as you can and use your judgment.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
I never used cones on either of my males after a neuter as they couldn't reach the area.

They both bounced back the next day and wanted to play. I know I didn't wait a full 2 weeks.

Same with Loki; good luck finding the right middle ground between what the vet said and what Maui wants.

MauiJones

Reaction score
Thank you everyone!! He seems to be doing better everyday but I'll probably still restrict him for the end of the week. He can't reach his incision either so I will continue the rest of the week without it. I sure do miss his zoomies but I know he will probably have a ton to let out once he's fully healed up lol 😆