Soft Stool

RemiTheFrenchie

Reaction score
We recently added a 4 month old frenchie to our family but she had recently been having really smell and soft stool. The breeder had her on Costco food (Salmon and sweet potato) and I had read that Zignature is pretty good for french bulldogs so I had plan to switch her to better kibbles. When she was on Costco food, she would go about 8-9 times a day and her stool would be kind of like soft server sometime diarrhea. I started the switch about 2 days ago and is slowly adding in the new food to her old food, but she still seem to be going 8-9 times a day but her stool smell worst than before. Does this normally happens when switching food or should I book a visit to our vet.

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 96

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
It could be a result of the switch but soft poop can also be the result of over feeding or a parasite. You can try adding in a bit of pure pumpkin, not the pie filling, which might help firm it up. You can also take a stool sample in to have it tested for giardia and other parasites if you haven’t done that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Yes, I would suspect over feeding, but having a fecal done wouldn't be a bad idea. The back of the bag's suggestion on servings is almost always more than what the dog actually needs. Zignature is a great quality food. If you really want to lessen the amount of poop and the smell you could always try a commercial raw product like Primal, Tuckers, Answers, Stella and Chewy, etc...Mine eats just about 9 ounces a day split into 2 meals with treats throughout the day and her weight is perfect. She poops exactly twice per day. Once in the morning, once in the evening. It is a small amount and very firm and easy to pick up. Good luck :)

RemiTheFrenchie

Reaction score
Yes, I would suspect over feeding, but having a fecal done wouldn't be a bad idea. The back of the bag's suggestion on servings is almost always more than what the dog actually needs. Zignature is a great quality food. If you really want to lessen the amount of poop and the smell you could always try a commercial raw product like Primal, Tuckers, Answers, Stella and Chewy, etc...Mine eats just about 9 ounces a day split into 2 meals with treats throughout the day and her weight is perfect. She poops exactly twice per day. Once in the morning, once in the evening. It is a small amount and very firm and easy to pick up. Good luck :)

It could be a result of the switch but soft poop can also be the result of over feeding or a parasite. You can try adding in a bit of pure pumpkin, not the pie filling, which might help firm it up. You can also take a stool sample in to have it tested for giardia and other parasites if you haven’t done that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for the suggestion, we had booked an appointment to have her stool test hopefully she doesn't have giardia. Going to reduce her amount of food to 1.25 cup a day, as the suggested amount on the back of the bag recommend to go double the portion if its a puppy.