Any tips on training for walks? Maui is OBSESSED with cars

MauiJones

Reaction score
Hello!
Maui is about 8 months old now, we started walking him at 6 months - just short walks around the neighborhood. We live off of a main street that has a lot of cars zooming past and Maui is absolutely obsessed with cars :sneaky2:. He started hearing them as a puppy when he would go potty in the backyard which I believe sparked his first interest. While walking he pulls alllllot to the point where we have tried multiple harnesses (non-pulling, front clip etc) but none seem to be working and I fear his is strangling himself.
But the worst part of all is that he will literally try to chase after the zooming car. In both directions. (as it's a two way main street). I fear that one day if he does end up getting out somehow (though I doubt that will ever happen as we watch him like a hawk but I have my anxiety lol) it obviously wouldn't end good for him as he is so car obsessed.
Anyone have any tips? I think I'm going to start treats next and just bring them with us on walks since he's pretty treat driven in all his other trainings. I'm just not to sure how to go about it, maybe when he's walking normally when there's no cars give him a treat?
Any suggestions help!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
They are that obsessed you will need a trainer to help you desensitize your baby. it is a tough fix so you want to get it before it gets worse

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I agree, get a trainer to help. It is very hard to break.

MauiJones

Reaction score
Thank you guys! We are looking into trainers. It's very odd because other loud noises don't bother him and I don't think it's the noise of the cars but the fact that they are driving fast as he also watches cars on the freeway when we have him in the car with us. Wish us luck!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Getting a trainer is excellent advice. In the meantime, I would try to avoid busy streets and maybe drive to a more quiet neighborhood for a walk. Good luck!