Not sure if anyone has experienced this issue with their French Bulldog?

ptgc

Reaction score
Our 5 year old French Bulldog, Petey has been experiencing issues with his backend. He is a brindle with lines that go back to the country of Hungary (large 35-36lbs) his tail is about ~3 inches and its crooked/kinked, no tail pocket as least none that we can see. We initially thought that was strange for a Frenchie as we've always seen them with stubs. Anyways we started noticing a small bald spot on the kinked part of his tail with little hair loss around it, he's been favoring his backend alot and it seemed to be very sensitive. He had a recent scary experience when he went outside to go potty he yelped in pain, it was dark so we weren't sure what exactly happened but we think it might be when he goes #2 he crouches down and it may have been painful. During the daytime he is a little hesitant going potty but doesn't yelp like he does at night though he tries to chase his tail like there is something back there bothering him.

We did take him to his Vet this week and he said that they checked his anal glands which weren't full, he noticed the bald spot at the kink of his tail and gave him a shot of an antibiotic and something for inflammation and overall looked him over and didn't see anything. He asked us to watch him to see if he's any better in a few weeks. So again last night when he went out to go the bathroom he yelped in pain again, it scared us to death to hear him go through this and it lasts only seconds. Overall he's normal as can be eating, walking playing as usual. It's puzzling to us on what's going on with his backend? I made another appt, with our Vet in a few weeks to have them take X-rays and maybe its something with his hips or legs? Has anyone experienced anything like this? or may know what this could possibly be? He is a very healthy 5 year old, but this problem is very puzzling...

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
@cbdugs ... could this be indication of IVDD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would take him to a vet who specializes in French and English bulldogs. Definitely sounds like a spinal problem.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD) is basically when their discs dry out and there is no more cushion. Unfortunately it can be very common with the breed. A neurologist is your best bet for an accurate diagnosis if it is IVDD as well as an MRI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cshunt14

Reaction score
PLEASE! Someone help! My frenchie is having problems with his back legs and without surgery he will have to be put to sleep! He’s an angel he truly is. His name is Douglas and here is his GoFundMe me to anyone who could contribute... PM user

links are not allowed on forums

Last edited by a moderator: