Pawtree Food - Health Issues

bigislandgrrl

Reaction score
We got our two french bulldog puppies within 2 months of each other at the beginning of 2020. Our first, was eating Science Diet puppy when she came to us in December and we continued to feed this until we picked up our Male in February. His breeder highly suggested Paw Tree brand food. After research it appeared to be a high quality food so we gradually switched our female over and began feeding PawTree exclusively.

We have had issues with both dogs over the past year. From early on our male was itchy, chewing his red inflamed paws and had nothing but diarrhea all the time, several visits to the vet and they couldn't figure it out. Our female took to vomiting foam around Labor Day and racked up about $2000 in vet bills trying to diagnose - no diagnosis and she lost about 5 lbs through the worst of it.

We started reading about protein allergies so for the rest of the year we bounced around the various PawTree blends trying to figure it out with no results. Finally, at wits end with frustration we decided to go back to Science Diet. 8 weeks later and our female is not vomiting and our male is no longer itchy and has solid poo's.

If anyone is having health issues and is feeding this brand of food I would highly recommend getting as far from it as possible. To this day we don't know what the problems were but have determined after turning our lives upside down and spending thousands of dollars at the vet, that its been the food this entire time.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of this brand will look into it.

As for SD, it is fine for short term issue but it is all filler and meal— you might consider looking for a better kibble. Some do well on SD so it is just a suggestion.

Zingnature, Open Farm, Earthborn Holistic, Fromm , Acana.... are a few to check out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigislandgrrl

Reaction score
I definitely appreciate and will look into your suggestions. We are just so happy that they are both doing better we would be a bit timid about changing anything real soon.

bigislandgrrl

Reaction score
Never heard of this brand will look into it.

As for SD, it is fine for short term issue but it is all filler and meal– you might consider looking for a better kibble. Some do well on SD so it is just a suggestion.

Zingnature, Open Farm, Earthborn Holistic, Fromm , Acana.... are a few to check out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi 2bullymama,

Thank you for sharing all the work on how to read dog food labels and the ratings for food! It wasnt a hard decision to choose Fromm :) Just bought our first bag at the local feed supply and have started slowly introducing the Four Star Nutritionals Salmon ala veg - not much more than what I was paying for SD and Royal Canin - why on earth would I want to pay for advertising instead of quality ingredients in their food!?!?! Thankfully Chewy refunded my last bag of SD and have asked me to donate it to a shelter. Ill keep yall updated on my babes and our experience!