French Bulldog with Aural hematoma - Vet suggests surgery.

alphaestrella

Reaction score
Good morning everyone, hope you guys can help me with input as I really need help.

Here is the outline and dates of how he developed his aural hematoma which is blood filling up the ear because of a blow or him excessively scratching. But I'm sure it was a blow when he was playing.

Feb 18 - took him to the vet because he had a small ball on his ear. The vet said it was very small and no treatment will be required. His ear looked a little different but not much than the other one.

Feb 24- despite wearing a collar, it grew in size and started to be more noticeable.

Feb 28- Took him to get it drained via aspiration by the vet, however, he did not allow it and the Vet said that if he was to sedate him it would be better to do the surgery as the aspiration is not always effective.

March 05- He is scheduled for surgery. My main concern is the cosmetics of his ear. Being a french bulldog their ears are their trademark. The vet said that the surgery it's likely to leave a better outcome because if left as is it will become a cauliflower ear.

Will you guys go through the surgery? Anyone has experienced this? Will Aspiration be better? Any recommendations?

- - - Updated - - -

The first picture by the carpet was last week, the one with me on my lap was yesterday and you can see the ear has fallen a bit because of the weight of it.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 10.02.31 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 10.02.31 AM.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 108
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 9.59.23 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-04 at 9.59.23 AM.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 113

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, hope you guys can help me with input as I really need help.

Here is the outline and dates of how he developed his aural hematoma which is blood filling up the ear because of a blow or him excessively scratching. But I'm sure it was a blow when he was playing.

Feb 18 - took him to the vet because he had a small ball on his ear. The vet said it was very small and no treatment will be required. His ear looked a little different but not much than the other one.

Feb 24- despite wearing a collar, it grew in size and started to be more noticeable.

Feb 28- Took him to get it drained via aspiration by the vet, however, he did not allow it and the Vet said that if he was to sedate him it would be better to do the surgery as the aspiration is not always effective.

March 05- He is scheduled for surgery. My main concern is the cosmetics of his ear. Being a french bulldog their ears are their trademark. The vet said that the surgery it's likely to leave a better outcome because if left as is it will become a cauliflower ear.

Will you guys go through the surgery? Anyone has experienced this? Will Aspiration be better? Any recommendations?

- - - Updated - - -

The first picture by the carpet was last week, the one with me on my lap was yesterday and you can see the ear has fallen a bit because of the weight of it.

It should just be to drain the blood.... [MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION] is this what Bambi had?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mavis

Reaction score
It should just be to drain the blood.... [MENTION=1070]Mavis[/MENTION] is this what Bambi had?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, Bambi had a hematoma a couple of summers ago. We thought she had gotten a bee sting so assumed the swelling would go down. I had never heard of hematomas at that time. We didn't take her in to the vet because of it. Eventually, she did develop a cauliflower ear but not severe. Her ear still stood, although it was slightly gathered at the top. It was noticeable but not unsightly. A different vet than whom we are seeing now saw it on routine examination and said that if we had brought her in, he would have drained it. I don't know if he meant aspirate with a topical or sedation.

I want to point out that her cauliflower ear had nothing to do with her ears eventually flopping. Both her ears flop now, not just her cauliflower ear, so the hematoma didn't cause that. Moral of the story for [MENTION=4469]alphaestrella[/MENTION] any anyone else is if a slight cauliflower ear isn't going to bother you cosmetically, you don't need to have anything done. It doesn't hurt them. The blood will reabsorb and leave some slight scar tissue. His ear should still stand, though. Good luck.

Here's a picture of Bambi's cauliflower ear (viewer's left). You can see a slight puckering.

Bambis ear.jpg