Anyone solely feed their Frenchie a raw/BARF diet?

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
When we got Winston as a pup we spent days researching dry foods, visiting various retailers etc. We settled on a quite expensive one that used human grade meat/fish with potato (no grain etc) he got on fine with it apart from the fact he just looked miserable at feeding time, push it about, graze etc. He would eventually eat his daily quota. A raw feed shop opened up in our town so we went along and started him on a initial 6 week raw feed programme. We are in week 5 and HE loves it, he would inhale his food if he could. However it's been a long 5 weeks the handling of the food/blood etc has taken some getting used to. His bowels movements are now fewer, firm and chalky with a few odd days of sloppy ones ( apparently this is normal during 'detox' weeks? He has taken to licking his paws incessantly & he's done a bit of scooting past week (not sure if this coincidence or the diet change). His coat went quite dull but this has now recovered. The lady in the shop assures us it's all normal and to stick with it and he will benefit from it in other ways ie breath odour , which is good, his teeth are nice and clean naturally (an aid of stag bar) his coat etc will improve. We also put DE in his food as advised by the lady to help as natural wormer and rubbed into the fur a flea repellent.

Just would like to compare notes :)

reading other posts I've just ordered some of the antibacterial wipes recommended to try on his face and paws.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Sorry, no help here, I don't have the stomach to feed raw! Good luck with it!

MamaAndi

Reaction score
[MENTION=290]kitkatmummy25[/MENTION] Sorry, I missed this thread! I feed raw prey model so we can compare some notes :)

The only time I've seen dogs scoot is if they have worms, might want to just run a quick stool sample to your vet and ask them to check it. The diatomaceous earth probably won't take care of all types of worms but I have heard good things about it, so I'm sure it does some good.
If he is licking his paws excessively he may have a bit of a yeast problem. I used to give the dogs a big spoonful of plain yogurt with their food when I felt like they were getting overly yeasty but it doesn't happen often.

Can I ask what kinds of things they have you feed with the barf model? Maybe we can troubleshoot :)

Debra

Reaction score
I always hear good things, but I also cant stomach it. But good for you!!!!

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Hi well last week was a bit of a nightmare I was losing confidence in the raw feeding and it's such a stand off between the vets and the lady who we buy our raw food from. We bought the yeast and bacteria wipes mentioned on here and they have helped his paws immensely (he's still licking them too much but think it's because he's got into the habit). We took him to the vet and she gave him antibiotics for an ear infection and some steroids for the 'allergy on his paws'. The vet said he was scooting because his anal glands needed clearing out which she did and it was probably because of the raw diet he wasn't pooping enough (raw feeding lady said it wasn't anything of the sort and as he has to push harder to poo through raw feeding it wasn't this). I was getting a bit fed up of getting an ear bashing from the raw feed lady and the vet so hubby and I sat down and reassessed.

We wormed him using drontal and still use the DE (raw lady wasn't happy about the 'chemical' drontal ) we have used the steroids, ear drops and wipes he is much happier (raw feed lady wasn't happy about this). We decided that as Winston actually enjoyed the raw feeding we would carry on but he is now fed a raw food called Nutrient which comes in chicken, beef, salmon, turkey, duck. plain veg, plain green tripe/heart/liver. It is raw comes in tubs and is a complete raw food all the vitamins, oils etc he needs. It is more expensive but not much more and the raw feed lady sells it (mainly to people with small breed dogs) but says it's for 'lily livered raw feeders' :w00t: it is easier to store & freeze and I bought a bag of lamb neck bones for him to chew and clean his teeth on supervised in the back yard.

All in all the vet is appeased, the raw feeder lady is happy we are still raw feeding but most importantly Winston has been so much happier, comfortable and bouncier this week. His coat is looking great , he had a good wash in his organic shampoo and conditioner and after buying numerous different dog brushes we found that the rabbits little rubber brush gets all the lose fur out of his coat much better. Hubby and I are feeling confident about the raw feeding again and decided as far as we can we will use all natural stuff with Winston but we will stick to drontal worming and using meds if Winston needs them and not be pushed into things by over zealous well meaning vets and shopkeepers :rolleyes:

I will give it a go with the yoghurt Winston would love that. Ocassionally we buy him raw stuffed pig hooves etc for a treat. The raw shop here sells allsorts rabbits skinned unskinned, pig heads,hooves, basically all bits of cows, pigs, bulls, rabbits, duck, chicken etc

Last edited:

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
green tripe is the worst thing ever, now having 5 kids I've seen some gory stuff and wiped up enough vomit , blood etc but that green tripe......I actually physically vomit after putting it in his bowl outside :bad: The Nutrient green tripe is mixed in with liver, heart etc and frozen so I give it too him semi defrosted and it doesn't smell that bad.

http://www.nutriment.co/?gclid=CMrJq8HG2roCFQ7LtAodg3AA-Q (hope ok to put on link if not please delete) Just to add our cat is raw fed as well. Our rabbit has all fresh veg etc we never feed her dried rabbit commercial food.

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I'm glad you got through it :) It is nice to see them really get into the raw food and enjoy eating, even if it is gross sometimes. LOL

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Just an update Winston still doing great on the raw feeding so we have decided to start Hugo the puppy on the nutriment raw feed for puppys fingers crossed that his poo (raw fed it's dry and chalky) will be less appealing for him to eat !!!

KimB3384

Reaction score
Hi [MENTION=290]kitkatmummy25[/MENTION], [MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION], and [MENTION=24]MamaAndi[/MENTION]! I've got a question about feeding raw, and I was wondering if you guys might be able to offer any insight. Bisou has been on a commercial raw diet for a few months now and we've finally settled on two brands that agree with her, without making her itch like crazy. The only problem is that I'm spending a fortune on it and it's nearly breaking my bank, but I refuse to switch her to something else. I've spent the morning looking online for homemade raw recipes and actually came across this one when I was looking at some canned tripe on amazon. Can you guys tell from the ingredient list if this is well-balanced enough, or if I need to add anything?

3 pounds of raw ground turkey,
1 handful of organic mixed greens (salad mix)
1 can drained french cut green beans,
1/2 can of pumpkin (the plain cooked vegetable, not the seasoned pie mix)
1 raw egg, with shell
1/3 cup alaskan salmon oil (like Grizzly's)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice,
1/2 cup of PLAIN regular Dannon yogurt. (not sweetened, not lowfat)
3/4 can of Tripett Green Beef Tripe
about a dozen chicken gizzards, cut in half
and 1/4 cup liver (beef or chicken)

Does that seem like I'd have my bases covered? Thanks so much for your help :)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Hi KimB3384

A raw diet should consist of 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ. I dont see any bone in the recipe which would not only give your pup runny poo but also wouldnt provide him with enough calcium.

Also tripe is really,really healthy but only if it comes from Grass Fed Animals, just something you should keep in mind if you get it off the internet. Since Tripe is FULL of healthy gut bacteria you dont have to add any yoghurt or other probiotics since there is already so much goodness in the tripe itself.

If you feed grass fed tripe or other grass fed meat you dont need to add fish oil since all Omega levels are in total balance. It is possible to OVERsupplement especially on Omega 3 and 6.There is also a risk the fish oil may be contaminated with mercury so if you do use fish oil only buy it from responsible trustworthy sources.

I would rather feed Quinoa than rice. The rice appears so act as a filler in this recipe.

If you want to make your own raw food I suggest you ratio meat,bone,organ yourself. Add some Quinoa and occasional carrots,apples other veggis/fruits and you're good to go. :)

KimB3384

Reaction score
Blerg. See? This is why I've been using the commercial stuff. I am a total dummypants when it comes to stuff like this. I see those ratios and my eyes glass over and I get kind of dizzy. Makes me just want to open a nice bag of kibble and be done with it :(

What does 80-10-10 look like in an actual meat purchase?

MamaAndi

Reaction score
The ratios are actually easier than it sounds. Give what you would consider to be the right mix and adjust as needed. There is no exact science and some dogs need the ratios adjusted a bit anyway :)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Blerg. See? This is why I've been using the commercial stuff. I am a total dummypants when it comes to stuff like this. I see those ratios and my eyes glass over and I get kind of dizzy. Makes me just want to open a nice bag of kibble and be done with it :(

What does 80-10-10 look like in an actual meat purchase?

3% x your dogs weight = your dogs daily amount of food.
Take the daily amount and then x 80% = amount of meat daily
Daily amount x 10% = amount of organ daily
Daily amount x 10% = amount of bone daily

So all you really need is a kitchen scale (to weigh the food). It doesnt have to be 80-10-10 every single day.Just calculate the weekly requirements of everything and try to follow up through out the week.

You can probably find some good meat at a local farmers market and a pet store close by should sell some frozen meaty bones.

KimB3384

Reaction score
Possibly a silly question, but could I go to a butcher shop and ask for that kind of mixture and just have them take care of it?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Hmm I dont know. I would ask though. If you ask him maybe even ask if the 10% organ could be 5% liver and the rest some other organ. That'd be great :)

KimB3384

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all of the help. Yesterday I was feeling so down, but today I'm totally confident I can pull this off. And I can do it for a fraction of what I'm spending on the commercial stuff. I really appreciate all of your time - and patience. Maple is lucky to have such a good mom :)

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Aww thank you! :) You are very welcome. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Ill cross my fingers you find a butcher :)

lkclark

Reaction score
Yesterday we went to Dexter's Deli and received a free 12 1oz. nugget trial pack of Primal raw dog food. I added a beef nugget to his morning wet/dry Fromm and he devoured his breakfast.

I could not afford buying something like Primal as his main food source, but I think I will add a nugget to at least his breakfasts. He gets a NuVet at lunch and now pumpkin with the dinner serving.

How does this diet look?

(I have to say that the nutritional content on Prime is amazing! He started on the frozen beef nuggets today.)

KimB3384

Reaction score
That's what we feed now: Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried in the morning and Primal nuggets at night. She can only do the last part of the alphabet in Primal because the first four formulas have yams and she's allergic. But she loves both and has done well - it's just so expensive.

I'm still going to look for a butcher, but if I can't locate anyone I came across this site: http://reelrawdog.com/. I can get an 80-10-10 mixture there for $2.99/lb. I think that's a pretty good deal, yeah?

Maddie

Reaction score
Hi [MENTION=290]kitkatmummy25[/MENTION], [MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION], and [MENTION=24]MamaAndi[/MENTION]! I've got a question about feeding raw, and I was wondering if you guys might be able to offer any insight. Bisou has been on a commercial raw diet for a few months now and we've finally settled on two brands that agree with her, without making her itch like crazy. The only problem is that I'm spending a fortune on it and it's nearly breaking my bank, but I refuse to switch her to something else. I've spent the morning looking online for homemade raw recipes and actually came across this one when I was looking at some canned tripe on amazon. Can you guys tell from the ingredient list if this is well-balanced enough, or if I need to add anything?

3 pounds of raw ground turkey,
1 handful of organic mixed greens (salad mix)
1 can drained french cut green beans,
1/2 can of pumpkin (the plain cooked vegetable, not the seasoned pie mix)
1 raw egg, with shell
1/3 cup alaskan salmon oil (like Grizzly's)
1/2 cup cooked brown rice,
1/2 cup of PLAIN regular Dannon yogurt. (not sweetened, not lowfat)
3/4 can of Tripett Green Beef Tripe
about a dozen chicken gizzards, cut in half
and 1/4 cup liver (beef or chicken)

Does that seem like I'd have my bases covered? Thanks so much for your help :)

For those of us that can't stomach feeding raw because...well...it's raw, Does the nutritional content diminish
If the ingredients are cooked?