Pup won’t stop howling. Please help!

RLord

Reaction score
Hi
I’m the new owner of a 9 week old frenchie puppy, Dembe and since I got him (5days ago) he hasn’t stopped howling throughout the day or night, whenever he is awake. I’ve never experienced anything like this before but then again I have never owned a frenchie before.
He seems to have favourite spots that he runs to, to then sit and howl. Windows seem to trigger him but having said that there are spots where no windows/ mirrors are around where he will howl.
He isn’t doing it for attention, I know for sure as he continues to howl even when I try to console him.
I took him to the vet and he confirmed that he has an intestinal infection but I don’t believe this is causing him to howl given the strange behaviours (having favourite spots etc).
Does anyone have any ideas? It’s heartbreaking to listen to him continuously howl 😞.
Thanks!
Becky

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
I’m the new owner of a 9 week old frenchie puppy, Dembe and since I got him (5days ago) he hasn’t stopped howling throughout the day or night, whenever he is awake. I’ve never experienced anything like this before but then again I have never owned a frenchie before.
He seems to have favourite spots that he runs to, to then sit and howl. Windows seem to trigger him but having said that there are spots where no windows/ mirrors are around where he will howl.
He isn’t doing it for attention, I know for sure as he continues to howl even when I try to console him.
I took him to the vet and he confirmed that he has an intestinal infection but I don’t believe this is causing him to howl given the strange behaviours (having favourite spots etc).
Does anyone have any ideas? It’s heartbreaking to listen to him continuously howl [emoji20].
Thanks!
Becky

Try not to console him, hard as heck, but by doing so you are reinforcing the behavior.

Have you tried to distract him with toys or bones?

Not sure why this popped in my head but is his hearing OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I agree, going over to console is reinforcing the behavior. I know he is young, but you could read up on the "Hush!" command and begin teaching it. Basically, when he howls, you put a finger to your lip and say a firm "Hush!" When he quiets, you immediately give him treat and praise.

Hope his intestinal infection has gotten better!