Healthy treats/chews

Tgirl

Reaction score
I just thought I would share something that I do on occasion as treats/chews for my dogs. I read it somewhere way back when but I can't remember where. The idea isn't mine, but it's a pretty good idea, so I wanted to share. I like to take sweet potatoes and slice then lengthwise. You should have a bunch of oval shapes. I usually slice them about 1/4" thick. I put them in the dehydrator overnight. They are pretty touch and chewy. My little dogs will work at one for a good while. I don't like to give things to chew on because they scare me (rawhides NO, greenies NO), but these are great, and healthy. I also get purple sweet potatoes at a local farm and they supposedly have more antioxidants than blueberries even, so that's a win/win. I'm not sure how much survives the dehydrator though.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently bought some dehydrated sweet potato treats for Jax and he loves them!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, they sound good.

Tgirl

Reaction score
I have often wondered about something. My husband is a hunter. I wondered if I could make some venison jerky in little pieces with no seasonings at all and give it to the dogs as a very occasional treat. They don't get any people food at all. I am thinking about the jerky made with ground venison in a jerky gun so it's not so stringy and chewy. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Bad idea?

Debra

Reaction score
I think the venison treat would be ok.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Love the venison idea! My husband and I are both hunters here in Michigan and hunting season starts next week. Always plenty of venison to use up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Winston has dried liver. It's rolled, dried into A4 size sheets then broken up and you can snap little bits off it. We get it from our raw & natural dog food shop. Would that be a similar thing to venison jerky?

For chews he has a stag bar (antler chew) and they last ages, no mess either

coolcat46

Reaction score
Winston has dried liver. It's rolled, dried into A4 size sheets then broken up and you can snap little bits off it. We get it from our raw & natural dog food shop. Would that be a similar thing to venison jerky?

For chews he has a stag bar (antler chew) and they last ages, no mess either
Yep I give the antler chews, my moolah loves them..she was sent home from the breeder with one