Attacking the TV

Katie Winchell

Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks Norm has decided to start jumping and barking at the TV. He's almost knocked it off the table a couple of times. If he sees animal or something he does or doesn't like he started barking and runs at the TV and jumps up at it. I tried crating him or putting him in another room when he does this. I leave him there until he calms down but as soon as he's back in the room he runs at the TV. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this?

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I've heard of people using some kind of noise deterrent.

Like filling a tin can full of pennies or rocks and shake the heck out of it when he is about to attack the tv. In theory it will get his attention and startle him a bit into realizing this is an unwanted behavior.

Good luck with him. I wish I had more suggestions.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Yes, try the can with coins or rocks, it works pretty well. A soda can works well.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a spray bottle with water in it. Keep it next to you and spray him with a firm NO, in the face, won't hurt him it is just water. Cheli sees us pick it up and he stops what he is doing and stares at us like UH-OH

Katie Winchell

Reaction score
Thanks for the Tips I'll try the coins in a can. I've used a spray bottle when he sees it he turns around but it doesn't deter him from doing it again.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster attacks the spray bottle but coins in a can gets his attention! Also, I've noticed that Buster has outgrown some of his negative behavior!

Willowrun

Reaction score
Haha.....noise will get you more noise.....we have had luck with putting her on the leash and making them watch tv with us...it should be normal activity. But they think it is a window and want to get to it.the worst thing you can do is remove him from the situation...just get him desensitized but it will take several CALM but firm try's. No talking from the human,just guidance that it is not acceptable behavior to mob the tv! They figure it out if everyone else watching the tv just hangs out and is calm too. Good luck but just let him get there with you.....every time he jumps or barks you gave to correct with the lead/small sharp tug but no words.....he'll get it!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I use a spray bottle with water in it. Keep it next to you and spray him with a firm NO, in the face, won't hurt him it is just water. Cheli sees us pick it up and he stops what he is doing and stares at us like UH-OH

This would be my suggestion as well. A spray bottle with water is a great tool along with your voice commands. Use a firm and low tone when you say no and if he does not stop you have to make him stop. As soon as he complies, you need to PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE. I alwasy tell my students that praise is just as important if not more so than correcting the behavior. Good luck. Let us know how it works!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Haha.....noise will get you more noise.....we have had luck with putting her on the leash and making them watch tv with us...it should be normal activity. But they think it is a window and want to get to it.the worst thing you can do is remove him from the situation...just get him desensitized but it will take several CALM but firm try's. No talking from the human,just guidance that it is not acceptable behavior to mob the tv! They figure it out if everyone else watching the tv just hangs out and is calm too. Good luck but just let him get there with you.....every time he jumps or barks you gave to correct with the lead/small sharp tug but no words.....he'll get it!

Good advise. Patience and consistency is the key with training.