Article: French Bulldog Puppy Buying Tips

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Excellent information! Spend time researching the breeder; buying from a good breeder is money well spent.

FindBehr

Reaction score
So, I was looking at a breeder that claimed they had "Rare" puppiesโ€“ WARNING SIGN. I was curious how much a "rare" puppy cost and the price was between $2,000- 4,000. $4,000 seemed way too high for any kind of puppy. What kind of prices can I expect from a reputable breeder?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I was looking at a breeder that claimed they had "Rare" puppiesโ€“ WARNING SIGN. I was curious how much a "rare" puppy cost and the price was between $2,000- 4,000. $4,000 seemed way too high for any kind of puppy. What kind of prices can I expect from a reputable breeder?

$2,000 - $3,000 is about right

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I live in Oregon and the going rate for a Frenchie puppy is $3,000 to $3,500 from what I've seen in WA, OR, and ID.

winginit66

Reaction score
How can breeders have AKC registered blue puppies if that is not a recognized color in the standard?

mhuinker

Reaction score
I agree with winginit66 -- I don't understand that! I've seen the rare colors being offered by breeders and they state they are AKC registered!

Reaction score
I just saw a video someone posted for Frenchies that were stolen in a home robbery. The young breeder said they were very rare, blue :-O She claimed the pups were worth $3K. Blue is not an AKC recognized color and why would it cost $3K without papers? I always look for a breeder who has occasional litters and owns dogs they show and finish. I'll pay $3K for that. I looked and looked for an older French Bulldog before purchasing our puppy. I couldn't even get anyone to return E-mails to me and we had an ideal situation being a retired husband and work from home wife, early 60s, homeowner with fenced yard. It wasn't until months later that I was able to find multiple rescue groups. I used FB and "friended" people who I saw raised FBDs and now have the resources I needed a year ago. In my research I found Frenchies from good reputable breeders to be priced $2500 to $3500. I've seen them priced higher but what is available at that price is certainly as quality as those priced higher. I have seen many fine rescues available that were surrendered for reasons that seem to be consistent with many French Bulldogs, aggression and allergies. My pup had both so it seems a rescue or older dog would be the right thing to do. I love my boy and he's turned out to be a real gentleman but not without work so I am all for the rescue or older dog. This was a great read for choosing a puppy but I hope more people will adopt.

blushy

Reaction score
I agree with winginit66 -- I don't understand that! I've seen the rare colors being offered by breeders and they state they are AKC registered!

We have a blue pied frenchie who is AKC.

We have her litters papers too.

Her mom was blue brindle, AKC says she's white with brindle markings.

Not sure how that works, we got her spayed and opted to not even worry about registering her, but her picture as a puppy and her litter are on the registration forms.

My bigger question is those few sites who sell "rare" frenchies for $10,000-15,000+ That are no where close to breed or AKC standard. As they are extremely cute, but I consider $5,000 over priced most of the time.

mhuinker

Reaction score
We have a blue pied frenchie who is AKC.

We have her litters papers too.

Her mom was blue brindle, AKC says she's white with brindle markings.

Not sure how that works, we got her spayed and opted to not even worry about registering her, but her picture as a puppy and her litter are on the registration forms.

My bigger question is those few sites who sell "rare" frenchies for $10,000-15,000+ That are no where close to breed or AKC standard. As they are extremely cute, but I consider $5,000 over priced most of the time.

I don't doubt they ARE registered with AKC, my wonderment comes in as to "why" they are if they are not a "recognized" color. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful and I love them! I just hate that there are breeders out there breeding JUST for the rare color and for nothing more than money, and unfortunately, that is a majority of the rare color breeders, at least from what I've seen and looked at myself.

I wonder if blues are registered with AKC because they are being submitted as "white with brindle markings" (aka Pied), which is an "allowed" color.... maybe that is how they (breeders) are getting around it..... I have not idea. :glare:

blushy

Reaction score
I don't doubt they ARE registered with AKC, my wonderment comes in as to "why" they are if they are not a "recognized" color. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful and I love them! I just hate that there are breeders out there breeding JUST for the rare color and for nothing more than money, and unfortunately, that is a majority of the rare color breeders, at least from what I've seen and looked at myself.

I wonder if blues are registered with AKC because they are being submitted as "white with brindle markings" (aka Pied), which is an "allowed" color.... maybe that is how they (breeders) are getting around it..... I have not idea. :glare:

Since my pups mom is solid "blue brindle" that is probably exactly what they do...

Mavis

Reaction score
We are not in the market for a new frenchie yet but probably within the next 3-4 years we will have a second one. I have been doing some research and have found two breeders about 4-5 hours away that appear to be reputable. Neither will ship and both have a very extensive application and insist on a phone screening. My only problem is I would be afraid to ask some of the questions above for fear of offending a breeder. I am such a wimp and too trusting, however, for frenchies, the demand far outweighs the supply, and I am afraid someone is going to think we are too aggressive. Thoughts?

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I wouldn't think a reputable breeder would be offended by you asking questions. They would most likely be happy that you have done research and are taking the time to find out as much information as possible. You are simply being a responsible buyer.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I wouldn't think a reputable breeder would be offended by you asking questions. They would most likely be happy that you have done research and are taking the time to find out as much information as possible. You are simply being a responsible buyer.

I agree. Reputable breeders will expect a lot of questions. Before we decided on a Frenchie I went to a rotti breeder and ended up spending 2 hours visiting and asking questions. I was almost invited over for dinner. lol! Ask as many questions as you want. If a breeder does not want to answer then I would walk away.

WeeDex

Reaction score
I agree. Reputable breeders will expect a lot of questions. Before we decided on a Frenchie I went to a rotti breeder and ended up spending 2 hours visiting and asking questions. I was almost invited over for dinner. lol! Ask as many questions as you want. If a breeder does not want to answer then I would walk away.

Same! We were with the breeder for almost 2 hours, as well as emails and phone calls beforehand. I took a list of questions! And he said he would be worried when people don't ask questions. If they're decent, they won't mind one bit.

Cbux99

Reaction score
Great post,
Can anyone recommend a reputable breeder in or near the Nj area?
Happy holidays.

stasbreyt

Reaction score
I just saw a video someone posted for Frenchies that were stolen in a home robbery. The young breeder said they were very rare, blue :-O She claimed the pups were worth $3K. Blue is not an AKC recognized color and why would it cost $3K without papers? I always look for a breeder who has occasional litters and owns dogs they show and finish. I'll pay $3K for that. I looked and looked for an older French Bulldog before purchasing our puppy. I couldn't even get anyone to return E-mails to me and we had an ideal situation being a retired husband and work from home wife, early 60s, homeowner with fenced yard. It wasn't until months later that I was able to find multiple rescue groups. I used FB and "friended" people who I saw raised FBDs and now have the resources I needed a year ago. In my research I found Frenchies from good reputable breeders to be priced $2500 to $3500. I've seen them priced higher but what is available at that price is certainly as quality as those priced higher. I have seen many fine rescues available that were surrendered for reasons that seem to be consistent with many French Bulldogs, aggression and allergies. My pup had both so it seems a rescue or older dog would be the right thing to do. I love my boy and he's turned out to be a real gentleman but not without work so I am all for the rescue or older dog. This was a great read for choosing a puppy but I hope more people will adopt.

blue is now AKCrecognized color. i just register my pup AKC web site and there was option for blue color

Dmccarthy56

Reaction score
My daughter connected with local breeder that we have met twice. Seemed very conscientious and helpful with our questions so made a deposit. Will actually get the puppy Jul 15. Have done tons of research on potty training and being new parent. Have had cat for several years but first puppy. Have found out French bulldogs are popular but expensive. Paying over $5000 for this puppy.