Itchy & Dandruff

nikkiLazaro

Reaction score
This is my first real post here! :D

My frenchie Koju has been scratching quite often and has a lot of dandruff. I'm thinking he has dry skin. I've been using this shampoo called Allergroom for about 2 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any suggestions on what I should use to make his itching and dandruff go away?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
i use an oatmeal based shampoo... seems to work pretty good, but i only bathe as needed -- maybe twice or three times a year

Tgirl

Reaction score
One thing to remember about moisturizing shampoos is that it's good if you can leave the shampoo on for 5 minutes or so before rinsing off. Oatmeal soaks may help also. You can make "oatmeal tea" using oatmeal in a panty hose toe or old sock tied and seep it in the water. Of course, you would have to have the dog's body under the water for a bit for it to help. Maybe use a Rubbermaid type thing in the big tub so you wouldn't have to use so much water? That will sometimes help with dry skin.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I think selsun (sp?) blue works. Haven't tried it myself, though.

nikkiLazaro

Reaction score
i use an oatmeal based shampoo... seems to work pretty good, but i only bathe as needed -- maybe twice or three times a year

And I thought giving him a bath once a month was pretty good haha. A lot of people have said oatmeal shampoos work well so I'll have to try it! Thanks! :)

nikkiLazaro

Reaction score
One thing to remember about moisturizing shampoos is that it's good if you can leave the shampoo on for 5 minutes or so before rinsing off. Oatmeal soaks may help also. You can make "oatmeal tea" using oatmeal in a panty hose toe or old sock tied and seep it in the water. Of course, you would have to have the dog's body under the water for a bit for it to help. Maybe use a Rubbermaid type thing in the big tub so you wouldn't have to use so much water? That will sometimes help with dry skin.

You know I didn't know that before, about leaving the shampoo in for at least 5 minutes. I just started doing that recently! I've never heard of making oatmeal tea for a bath. It sounds nice though! Oatmeal tea/oatmeal shampoo I'm gonna have to try. Thank you!!

nikkiLazaro

Reaction score
I think selsun (sp?) blue works. Haven't tried it myself, though.

I actually heard about Selsun when i was searching on google about the best dog shampoos for dry skin. I've never tried it either but I think I want to!

pbois

Reaction score
Adding more omega fatty acids to his diet could help or use a product like Missing Link.

Debra

Reaction score
Re: Itchy & Dandruff

After I bath my dogs, I mix up a Aveeno oatmeal packet for a rinse. It works.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you can use the generic brand also.

Willowrun

Reaction score
Yeah the shampoos are just for the outside...the itches and dry scaly stuff comes from inside.......add fat like wet dog food or fish oil to their dry food.....and make sure it is not an allergy to the kibble or treats if you give them! Shampoos make them smell good and can provide temporary relief to conditions but really do not get to the root cause!

Babette

Reaction score
I don't know if you're comfortable with it but sometimes Babette gets a partially cooked egg mixed in with her food. When she's not having issues with food related allergies her fur/skin look great. :)