Colitis or Irritable Bowel Disorder

Ronelle

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has a frenchie that has colitis or IBD? My seven month frenchie has never had a
firm stool. It is always soft serve. The vet has had us on Baytril for 6 weeks, hoping to kill a parasite plus
on hyperallergenic food and we are still having issues. They are recommending doing a scope down him
and taking a biopsy to see what the issue is. I hate to put him through this before exhausting any other options.
Hoping for some ideas?

Thanks,
Ronelle

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
|How much food are you giving him? Too much food will cause soft stools.

Ronelle

Reaction score
I am feeding him about 3/4 cup of food 3 times a day.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Cut back on his food. I think that is too much. Hazel is 3 years old so she won't need as much food as your 7 month old, but we only give her 1 cup of food a day, split into two feedings. Try giving him 3/4 cup twice a day, and I bet that will help. Plus if you still have him on puppy food, you can change him over to adult the next time you need to buy food.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am feeding him about 3/4 cup of food 3 times a day.

Jax is 7 months old as well and gets 3/4 cup twice a day. You should cut back on his food and maybe try mixing in a tablespoon of pure pumpkin puree (not the pie filling) to help with the loose stool.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Jax is 7 months old as well and gets 3/4 cup twice a day. You should cut back on his food and maybe try mixing in a tablespoon of pure pumpkin puree (not the pie filling) to help with the loose stool.

Oliver is 5.5 months and is eating 1.5 cups total (3/4 cup twice daily) of his food and is doing well. He had 2 bacterial infections when we got him and he had soft poops for like 6 weeks we didn't think it would EVER firm up. They put him on WD diet which made him firm up BUT we found out the hard way he's severly allergic to CORN and the number one ingredient in that food is corn. Pumpkin (in the can at the store not pie filling) is great for firming up poops. Great suggestion by Cbrugs. I would also recommend cutting back on food amount and the question I have not seen asked yet which is VITAL is what brand food are you feeding? You said hypo allergenic but it could be that he's still allergic to something in it....took us or ever to figure out all the things Oliver is allergic too. Corn, wheat, soy, grains...and he still gets hives sometimes when we give him a table scrap once and a while. Hang in there. Im sure this is not easy for anyone involved. :(

Ronelle

Reaction score
Yes I will cut back on his food. Its Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydolyzed Protein moderate calorie food. It only has one protein source which is what the
Vet says he should has. Its grain free for sure.
What food do you have Oliver on now?

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Yes I will cut back on his food. Its Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydolyzed Protein moderate calorie food. It only has one protein source which is what the
Vet says he should has. Its grain free for sure.
What food do you have Oliver on now?

Royal Canin Hypoallergenic is a great food. I have heard good things so you are good there. I would follow your vets advise. If he feels the endoscope is the right course of action then it probably is, unless you don't like or trust your vet? I always go with my gut feeling. I love my vet now but in the past I have not been so sure of my previous vet so go with your gut. We fought 2 parasites in Ollie when we first got him. Camplobactor and Giaridia. Do you know what parasite you are trying to fight? The girderia is REALLY difficult to kill. Took us 3 rounds of 3 different medications to finally kill it. Hang in there.

We feed Oliver the Blue Buffallo Freedom Grain Free brand and we feed the Blue Buffallo Winderness Salmon and Chicken to our boxer and Golden Retriever.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would not spend the money on the scope right now, I have a strong feeling if you reduce his food by 3/4 cup, he will be fine. I have raised a lot of pups and when they have soft poop for more than a few days and no parasites then it is always too much food.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
I am also going to suggest cutting back the food. My 6 month old frenchie girl is getting the usual, 1.5 cups a day (split into two feedings of 3/4). Her stool is very firm and solid. Plus she just seen her vet this week and the vet was very happy with her weight, so she said to continue the 1.5 cups a day till maybe she is over a year old. Then cutting back to 1 cup a day so she doesn't put on too much weight as an adult.

We are currently feeding all of our dogs Fromm. It has been an amazing switch from what we were on. After the switch, all of their coats have improved and are more silky, and bathroom schedule has been easier to regulate since they all have healthy stool. ha... I would look into the Fromm brand online and see what you think! Our Frenchie is on the Fromm Puppy (pink bag) and our adult mix breeds are on Fromm Adult (black bag)

Ronelle

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it

Ronelle

Reaction score
Salty had Giardia, but the last stool sample showed no bacteria, so I will try cutting back on the food and if that doesn't work we will do the
blood work the vet is recommending before scoping. Thanks for your input-

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Louie is 51/2 months and is only eating 1/2 cup twice a day. My vet said that is a good amount. He is gaining wait fine as he was just weighed and is already 16 lbs. he does however go poop 3-4 times a day which I think is a lot but his stools are normal.