Shampoos

t3amturn3r

Reaction score
What pet shampoos are you all using? I was told a antibacterial/antifungal is good to use.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
What pet shampoos are you all using? I was told a antibacterial/anti fungal is good to use.

Any suggestions?
My dog has allergies that the inflammation causes an over growth of bacteria that makes him smell bad so we bath in Dermachlor 2%. It kills the bacteria and he smells so good. Let it sit for 5-10 mins before rinsing. You get it from your vet and it's really pretty reasonable. We pay about $6 for a big bottle.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We use one by Perfect Coat, Tender Care Puppy, also Baby shampoo will work.

t3amturn3r

Reaction score
My dog has allergies that the inflammation causes an over growth of bacteria that makes him smell bad so we bath in Dermachlor 2%. It kills the bacteria and he smells so good. Let it sit for 5-10 mins before rinsing. You get it from your vet and it's really pretty reasonable. We pay about $6 for a big bottle.

That sounds like what I am looking for. I fly to go get Abby on Friday and I have her first vet visit the next day. I will ask him if they carry it. Thanks!

t3amturn3r

Reaction score
We use one by Perfect Coat, Tender Care Puppy, also Baby shampoo will work.

Good suggestions. I guess I will have to see if she will need the anti-allergen stuff first??? I wonder if I could try these products first and just see how they do on her.

I have a feeling I have a lot to learn in the near future!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=304]t3amturn3r[/MENTION] just don't bath her too much, as it will dry their skin out. We hardly ever bath ours unless they start to smell, which is rare.

t3amturn3r

Reaction score
[MENTION=304]t3amturn3r[/MENTION] just don't bath her too much, as it will dry their skin out. We hardly ever bath ours unless they start to smell, which is rare.

Okay, good to know. When I had my BT, I bathed her weekly.

Last edited:

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I use two different shampoos lines. My golden retriever is SUPER sensitive and broke out in hives so I started using this one on him. Natures SPeciality Super R...it smells wonderful and it's concentrated so it goes a LONG way. Then Ollie needed oatmeal shampoo so I use the GNC brand pictures here...pPETS-14309166t300x300.jpgsuper-remedy-shampoo-for-dogs--cats-.jpg

I buy the natures speciality at a local speciality pet store I used to manage back in high school and the GNC oatmeal is purchased at PetSmart.

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
We use ScruffyChops a organic shampoo and conditioner. Its smells yummy. I think it's a UK based company.

Reaction score
That sounds like what I am looking for. I fly to go get Abby on Friday and I have her first vet visit the next day. I will ask him if they carry it. Thanks!
Abby's cute which state is she coming from? My puppy had eye surgery when he was 5 mos old and wore an E-collar and developed a bacterial/fungal infection under the collar ring. After treating that and as he got older, I noticed he smelled bad most of the time. My husband said he smelled like a baby camel :-( I had asked several FBD people on my FB and posted on several blogs asking about the smell but of course no one answered me. I started reading on my own and remembered the E-collar infection that smelled from the overgrowth of yeast and bacteria and started using the Dermachlor & noticed an improvement in the smell so I knew he needed to see a dermatologist. I saw an article on here after the fact that I wished I'd have seen months ago written on allergies. It was very informative and confirmed what his dermatologist told me. If your dog doesn't have allergies that cause this over growth of bacteria and yeast I'd be careful about using the RX shampoo. Everyone and everything has bacteria and yeast that live on us. It becomes a problem when there is inflammation (like is caused by allergies) and you get an over-growth which causes an infection. If your dog is normal I'd use a good puppy shampoo. I get GNC puppy, it's no more tears and has coat conditioners. I was told originally that a Frenchie doesn't need a bath very often but because of the allergies and over growth of bacteria we have to bathe 2Xs per week. Good luck with little Abby and hopefully, she doesn't have allergy issues!

kim

Reaction score
Piper does really well on Tropiclean and it smells great!