Showing

kim

Reaction score
I'm thinking of showing Piper. Is it best to start at 6 months or wait until she's one? Any info or suggestions welcome!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] may be able to give you some insight

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Good for you! I think they have sections for pups under a certain age! David would know the specifics!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
@kim definitely start young, the sooner the better. At 6 months is a good age to start and they learn early what to do. It is hard work, but so much fun a and rewarding for both of you. That's great that you want to show your baby. Find a bulldog club close to you and talk to them about taking some confirmation classes, this will help bother of you. Find some junior matches to start with to practice on first, then you will be one your way. Good luck and as always have a blast. Plus and this is the major thing to remember, WE WANT TO SEE PICS!!!!!! :2thumbs:

The other thing is post a good pic of Piper, in your avatar he looks white with black, and that is a disqualification with AKC. Is his black a brindle black? If so that is allowed, I could not tell by the pic. Black Is black and will be disqualified. There are other clubs you can show under that are not AKC sanctioned so you can still get the experience and practice your skills. Then one day get another Frenchie that is an AKC standard Frenchie you can show at all AKC shows.

opps, sorry Kim, I just noticed you are in Canada. Instead of showing under AKC you would show under CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) but their standards are the same as our AKC standards. Sorry.

Last edited:

winginit66

Reaction score
@kim definitely start young, the sooner the better. At 6 months is a good age to start and they learn early what to do. It is hard work, but so much fun a and rewarding for both of you. That's great that you want to show your baby. Find a bulldog club close to you and talk to them about taking some confirmation classes, this will help bother of you. Find some junior matches to start with to practice on first, then you will be one your way. Good luck and as always have a blast. Plus and this is the major thing to remember, WE WANT TO SEE PICS!!!!!! :2thumbs:

The other thing is post a good pic of Piper, in your avatar he looks white with black, and that is a disqualification with AKC. Is his black a brindle black? If so that is allowed, I could not tell by the pic. Black Is black and will be disqualified. There are other clubs you can show under that are not AKC sanctioned so you can still get the experience and practice your skills. Then one day get another Frenchie that is an AKC standard Frenchie you can show at all AKC shows.

opps, sorry Kim, I just noticed you are in Canada. Instead of showing under AKC you would show under CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) but their standards are the same as our AKC standards. Sorry.

David - can you supply more info on the coloring? I have wondered about the black/white combinations, b/c there seem to be so many of them and it is hard to tell if they are really brindle. I have read and re-read the AKC standards and they really don't give the reasoning, just what is allowed / not allowed. Thanks! Anne

Alice Kable

Reaction score
[MENTION=193]winginit66[/MENTION] I think the reasoning behind the disqualification of black is it is a dominant color and if allowed pretty soon all Frenchies would be black. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. I remember reading that somewhere but don't remember where!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=193]winginit66[/MENTION] [MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] has pretty much hit it on the head. Black is a dominate color, so that is why it is a disqualification in showing at AKC shows. It also angers me when people try to breed the black and call them "rare" and then charge big money for them, along with the other so called "special colors". The rule is as long as the black has some brindle in it, it is allowed, even if it's just a little patch of brindle. I hope that clears it up for you.

winginit66

Reaction score
Yes and thanks. How can breeders with unrecognized /approved colors claim to have AKC puppies? I don't understand that either...

kim

Reaction score
Hi David,
Thanks for the info. She does have a little brindle but some of her spots are blk. Does the black eventually change to brindle? I got her from a breeder that not only shows but also judges. She was actually going to keep her but I begged her to let me have Piper. I'm actually at work this weekend and I'm working 12 hour shifts so I'll take a picture of her on Monday and post it. It's so nice to have a place to come to and talk about this breed that has so many knowledgable people! Thanks everyone :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=160]kim[/MENTION], the spots may lighten up a bit but not much, but if she had just a little brindle in her black, then she will be fine and can show. Not all the black spots have to have brindle either. [MENTION=193]winginit66[/MENTION] OK I hope this answers your question. When you have pups you register the whole litter with AKC, so they all are AKC registered pups. Not all of them are "show quality" though. You can have a "pet quality" pup still registered, but can not show it if the colors are a disqualification, or if the pup has other things that may disqualify it. These "pet quality" pups should not be breed, but people still do. Most breeders once the pups go to their new home will mark the registration papers given to the new owner to file with AKC a "limited" registration. Meaning if they breed this pup, then that litter will not be able to be registered with AKC. This is where you get people who want to breed for money and don't care about the breed, will breed anyway and register them with CKC (Continental Kennel Club) or NKC. I hope this helps

kim

Reaction score
Piper is Canadian Kennel Club registered with a limited registration. I would not want the stress that comes with breeding but would like to show. I just hope she's brindle enough so she's not disqualified. Ill post that picture on Monday. Thanks David for all your help!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=160]kim[/MENTION] OK, I'm sure CKC has the same rule as AKC, but you might check, but a limited dog cannot compete in conformation shows. It is eligible, however, to be entered in any other licensed or member event, including Obedience, Tracking, Field Trials, Hunting Tests, Herding, Lure Coursing, Agility, Rally, and Earthdog. There should be other clubs there that you can show him in. You will just have to find a Frenchie club and ask them if they know of any close by you.

kim

Reaction score
ajytysez.jpg
e9eja8as.jpg

I can't get her to stay still for a good picture. David can you tell from these ones? I also called my breeder and I was wrong she's not limited and I can show her!!!! That's if she's brindle enough.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=160]kim[/MENTION] I can't really tell from thr pics, but is that brindle on her left eye? If it is that should be enough. Good luck, and hope to see some pics of her in the ring.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
ajytysez.jpg
e9eja8as.jpg

I can't get her to stay still for a good picture. David can you tell from these ones? I also called my breeder and I was wrong she's not limited and I can show her!!!! That's if she's brindle enough.

Would love to see pics of her showing! How fun!

Tgirl

Reaction score
Showing sounds so fun! I hope it works out for you and her. She sure looks like a sweetie.

kim

Reaction score
Thanks for your help David.