New puppy

dvalencia22

Reaction score
Hi guys. We are bringing home our puppy (Gatsby) in a week. He will be 9'weeks when we get him. What are a few things I should prepare for for the first couple nights?

MamaAndi

Reaction score
No sleep. LOL Having a puppy is almost like having a baby. They have to take nighttime potty breaks and require constant supervision. I would say a crate, chew toys, harness and leash, and a little bit of whatever food Gatsby is on now plus a bag of what you want to transition him to. Those would be my big picks.
The crate especially because puppies tend to overdo it and sometimes they just need a place that they can rest and you know they are safe (not getting into everything). Crate training is difficult at time, they whine and cry but once you are over the hump most dogs will end up liking their crate in the end.
The chew toys because we all know how sharp those little puppy teeth can be!

Good luck with your new pup and I can't wait to see photos of little Gatsby (just love that name!)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! I would add potty pads or litter box to the list of things on hand. Most pups come partially pad or box trained. Also know that your baby can handle the large size Nylabone, no need for a small one that could cause a choking problem later. Frenchies love to play so Kong toys are good, Jolly teaser ball, and for soft toys Fire Hose is good!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
No sleep. LOL Having a puppy is almost like having a baby. Good luck with your new pup and I can't wait to see photos of little Gatsby (just love that name!)

:rofl: so true! A pup can only hold bladder for one hour more than they are months old so if they are two months old -- every 3 hours they need to potty.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Congrats on the new pup and I can't wait to see pics of him. The others have got you covered on things you need and some things to do. I do encourage crate training your pup. They will love their crate once they get used to it, it is their safe place.

Tgirl

Reaction score
How exiting!! I can't really add anything that hasn't already been covered. It's going to be a lot of work but totally worth it.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Totally EXCITING! My advise would be to get him/her on a feed water walk schedule to help with the potty training. Ollie potty trained quickly by about 4.5 months and we got him at 3 months. The best advise is get on a schedule and stick to it. Pick up the water at about 2-3 hours before bed. Take the pup outside to potty every time he/she wakes from a nap and about 10 mins after every meal. They will potty about every 2 to 3 hours so be aware of that. Baby gates are your friend. Keep them up if you have stairs in the house. Also use the gates to keep the puppy out of areas of the house you don't want him/her in. In order to correctly potty train you have to catch them in the act so keeping them in the same room as you is important during this time. Sleep deprivation is coming. REST when you can and don't feel bad if you give up 3 weeks in like I did and put him/her in bed with you. It was the smartest thing I ever did. I have been able to sleep through the night ever since. I bought a waterproof cover for the mattress and Ollie only had one accident. I always take him out potty before bedtime too. I would tell him go potty while he was doing it and then give him a treat when he came back in the house. He learned quickly when he potty outside he got treats. Good luck and if you need more help or have questions I am a behavior and obedience trainer so I can help But everyone on this board is really dog savy and offer great suggestions I have found!