Traveling with French Bulldog for long distances

Nina Honey

Reaction score
Hello
We are taking our 8 month French Bulldog to the USA from Georgia ( country Georgia) it will be 30-35 hours total with a few layovers. as we found out we cant put him in cargo, we have to carry him with us in the cabin, he is about 10-11kg with carrier ( 10kg is maximum which is allowed to take in cabin ) so i am starting worry about it. has anyone flew with a Frenchie for long distance ? how did the dog behave ? do i need to give any sleeping medicine for longest (11 h ) flight ?

Anyone can give us ANY advice ?

Thanks

Tgirl

Reaction score
I would talk to my Veterinarian about it. He/she may suggest something to relax him. That's a long flight. This may be a dumb question, but will you be able to get him out and walk him during the lay overs? (I've never been on a plane, so I have no idea how that works).

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you are not putting him in the cargo hold, I would never, ever, ever, put a Frenchie or English bully in the cargo hold, as that is a good way to kill them. He should sleep most of the time and when you have a lay over I would see if you can walk him around and maybe go potty somewhere outside. I would take some puppy pads with you just incase. We flew and adult Frenchie and a puppy from Florida to Texas once and they did great in the plane. Just take some food and water for him to eat and drink on the plane and he should be fine.

Nina Honey

Reaction score
I would talk to my Veterinarian about it. He/she may suggest something to relax him. That's a long flight. This may be a dumb question, but will you be able to get him out and walk him during the lay overs? (I've never been on a plane, so I have no idea how that works).

i have one flight 1h 40m and i dont want to give any relax or sleep medicine for this short flight. then i will have about 2 hour layover and then 11-13 hours flight when i want to give some sleeping medicine. after that i will have 6 hour layover in NY and again few hours flight to Seattle.
dog will be in my bag all the time and i think there will be place where i can take him out and walk and play i think. if not then i will just take him out of airport when i will have 6 hours layover and give him nice long walk.
iwhen i will have dates when i am flying, i will call ticket company and ask more details but i was hoping to get some advice from people who already traveled with french bulldog

Nina Honey

Reaction score
Well I'm glad you are not putting him in the cargo hold, I would never, ever, ever, put a Frenchie or English bully in the cargo hold, as that is a good way to kill them. He should sleep most of the time and when you have a lay over I would see if you can walk him around and maybe go potty somewhere outside. I would take some puppy pads with you just incase. We flew and adult Frenchie and a puppy from Florida to Texas once and they did great in the plane. Just take some food and water for him to eat and drink on the plane and he should be fine.

which airline you used ? so they allowed to have adult french bulldog in cabin with you ? wasn't there any weight problems ? u know mostly only 22lbs animals are allowed in cabin, i'm afraid we will have problems if oour dog will be few lbs more then 22lbs :(
i am thinking to give some sleeping pills that he can sleep most of the time on our longest flight

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=338]Nina Honey[/MENTION] it was Southwest and they allow 25lb. and she just made the weight limit. I thought most would go 25 lbs., but could be wrong.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
[MENTION=338]Nina Honey[/MENTION] I am so glad your Jabba will be with you in the cab of the plane. You might want to check out some diapers for him to wear in addition to the potty pads.

I've got to tell you that my EB Ruggles' dad suffocated in the cargo space in a plane flying from California to Washington State (short flight). They packed cargo around and on top of his crate so tightly he couldn't get air. Don't let your baby wind up in cargo, even if you have to buy a ticket for him!

And welcome to the site!

Last edited:

Nina Honey

Reaction score
[MENTION=10]Alice Kable[/MENTION] Thanks ;)
No No we gonna have long flights so i cant give him stay in cargo for that long time.
i will try to be careful with his food and give him little diet not to gain weight and if he will be around 22lbs i wont have problems having him with me in cabin . thats only problem i have for now, not to gain weight :) its better to keep him in nice shape then let him travel in cargo :(
i worry about his behaviour in cabin :/ he can get crazy being stuck in his bag which he doesnt really like that much :( also thinking to give some sleeping medicine for long distance flight

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
[MENTION=338]Nina Honey[/MENTION] I am so glad your Jabba will be with you in the cab of the plane. You might want to check out some diapers for him to wear in addition to the potty pads.

I've got to tell you that my EB Ruggles' dad sufficated in the cargo space in a plane flying from California to Washington Stare (short flight). They packed cargo around and on top of his crate so tightly he couldn't get air. Don't let your baby wind up in cargo, even if you have to buy a ticket for him!

And welcome to the site!

OM Gosh! That's aweful! I have never flown a dog and I don't think I would want to.....too scary for the puppy and now I know it could be deadly? No thanks!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
OM Gosh! That's aweful! I have never flown a dog and I don't think I would want to.....too scary for the puppy and now I know it could be deadly? No thanks!

The only way to fly with a dog is with them in the passenger section of the plane. I sure have enjoyed your pictures from the Frenchie meet up!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
The only way to fly with a dog is with them in the passenger section of the plane. I sure have enjoyed your pictures from the Frenchie meet up!

I'm so glad you enjoyed them. For a little bit I thought well this might be a bit much....but then I love photo's and I figure some others must too so I posted away. If I ever get obnoxious don't hesitate to tell me to tone it down with the pics. :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
:eek: have a very safe trip. I'd be sure he stays under weight so he can be with you -- no cargo