Breeder's Health Guarantee

kali80

Reaction score
Hello,

We've done a lot of research in French Bulldogs and are looking forward to adopting our first one! We've been trying to find a trustworthy breeder, and found one with a pretty good contract with the following health guarantee. Could someone please advise on how it sounds? Thank you in advance!

-----

The dog described above is guaranteed by Seller to be healthy at the time of delivery to the Buyer. The Buyer agrees to have this dog examined (at Buyer’s expense) by a licensed veterinarian within three business days after being secured by the Buyer, for a complete health evaluation. This agreement is made for the mutual benefit to protect all parties.

Conditions not covered under this contract are: malocclusions, grade 1 luxating patellas, simple illnesses, cosmetic flaws, flaws that only would affect show potential, allergies, physical trauma, torn ligaments, broken bones or any accident or injury or illness contracted once the puppy has left possession of the Seller.

The Seller states that under no circumstances will the Seller stand responsible after the 72-hour period or if any expenses are incurred in connection with the care of this dog/puppy through veterinary bills during the 72-hour period. No refund of purchase price or monetary compensation will be given after the initial 72 hour period.

Seller guarantees said puppy/dog is free from genetic disorders that will render said puppy/dog unsuitable or unhealthy as a pet. These may include, but are not limited to; Patellar Luxation greater than grade 1 in one knee, Legg-Calve Perthes disease, deafness, juvenile cataracts, glaucoma, seizure disorders, life threatening immune disorders.

If any health problems are identified during the initial veterinarian health check or genetic disorders are diagnosed in the first year of life, they must be confirmed by two practicing veterinarians from two separate veterinary practices. Proof must be supplied in writing on the veterinarian’s letterhead bearing his/her hand written signature. This written documentation must contain a description of the dog/puppy, its date of birth and diagnosis. Test results or x-rays may be requested by the Seller.

In such a situation, the Seller will replace said puppy with one of equal or greater value as soon as such a dog becomes available. All expenses related to the return of the dog are the Buyer’s responsibility.

If after diagnosis of such illness or disorder, the Buyer decides to keep said puppy, then all expenses related to health or treatment of these issues will be the responsibility of the Buyer, and no money will be owed to the Buyer.

Linwhite

Reaction score
I think it stinks as a guarantee. Basically the breeder is saying that just about all the problems Frenchies are prone to get are not covered and heaven forbid you can't get an appointment within 72 hours.

pbois

Reaction score
I'm not that big of a fan of any guarantees. I think if you do your research and pick a breeder that you feel is doing all they can to produce healthy puppies then that is the best you can do to stack the cards in your favor. Also, most reputable breeders will try and do what's right if something comes up later on guarantee or not, and even the best breeders on occasion will have something come up that they have never had a problem with before. Do your research and then research again.....ask for puppy buyer references from whatever breeder you choose and hopefully you won't have any problems down the road. Just my 2 cents... :)

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I'm not that big of a fan of any guarantees. I think if you do your research and pick a breeder that you feel is doing all they can to produce healthy puppies then that is the best you can do to stack the cards in your favor. Also, most reputable breeders will try and do what's right if something comes up later on guarantee or not, and even the best breeders on occasion will have something come up that they have never had a problem with before. Do your research and then research again.....ask for puppy buyer references from whatever breeder you choose and hopefully you won't have any problems down the road. Just my 2 cents... :)

Great advise. I had a health guarantee with Olliver and we had him in the vets office within 24 hours and he had 2 different bacterial infections and we had to treat ALL THREE of our dogs. It ended up costing 800 and the breeder refused to stand behind her health guarantee. She said she would take him back and replace him, but I was not about to give my puppy back to the breeder that allowed him to get ill in the first place.

Health Guarantee's are not really any good unless you have tons of money and are willing to sue the breeder. I agree with the other two posters. Do your research on the brreder, as for referrals and then purchase pet insurance so if something does go wrong you have the insurance to help pay for it.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
The breeder's guarantee covers major congenital defects that are found in the first year. Honestly, most problems become apparent after age 2 or 3. So either get health insurance or start an account for your pup's health care (and make monthly deposits).

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
The breeder's guarantee covers major congenital defects that are found in the first year. Honestly, most problems become apparent after age 2 or 3. So either get health insurance or start an account for your pup's health care (and make monthly deposits).

Great advise...I second those words. :)

kali80

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice! :) We've gotten reference information from the breeder...and we've been looking into a few pet insurance companies. A friend of ours had suggested to start our own savings account, but we were worried if that would be enough considering the stories we've read about Frenchies and their health issues.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice! :) We've gotten reference information from the breeder...and we've been looking into a few pet insurance companies. A friend of ours had suggested to start our own savings account, but we were worried if that would be enough considering the stories we've read about Frenchies and their health issues.

Get the health insurance. 3 weeks into having Ollie home he broke his elbow flying down the stairs to the tune of $4000. Insurance covered 80% of that! It's worth it.

kali80

Reaction score
Get the health insurance. 3 weeks into having Ollie home he broke his elbow flying down the stairs to the tune of $4000. Insurance covered 80% of that! It's worth it.

Thanks Julie, I did read your input in the pet insurance thread! Unfortunately it doesn't look like Healthy Paws is available in Canada, so we're looking at PetPlan and Trupanion. It sounds like some people have had issues quite early on with their Frenchies (like you!), so there wouldn't be much in our savings account yet if that were to happen with us!

We've just put down our deposit on our puppy, we are beyond excited!! :D Again, thank you everyone for your input!!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Thanks Julie, I did read your input in the pet insurance thread! Unfortunately it doesn't look like Healthy Paws is available in Canada, so we're looking at PetPlan and Trupanion. It sounds like some people have had issues quite early on with their Frenchies (like you!), so there wouldn't be much in our savings account yet if that were to happen with us!

We've just put down our deposit on our puppy, we are beyond excited!! :D Again, thank you everyone for your input!!

Very exciting time. Trupanion is suppose to be a good one.