Treat Training

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on this subject. Now that I own a frenchie I see the benefit to treat training due to the "bully and stubbon" traits of this breed. When all I had were the Golden Retrievers I never had these issues of not wanting to listen. So while I don't normally like the treat training method, I have come to have a fondness for it.

Once the dog starts to know the command then you need to taper off the treats so he will learn to do it without getting the treats. I usually back off the treats to every other time then every third time and then none over the course of maybe a week or two depending on how the dog is reacting. Remember that when you give a command if he does not perform it, you can give the command once more and then you need to place the dog into the command you asked for. Example: If it's sit, then you need to place the dog into the sit position repeating the command sit. So they learn to sit. You can also hold a favorite toy over thier heads and move it backwards over the line of site which will help them to sit down, if they don't back up instead. LOL I like using treats for some training but not all. I like it on the come command and the tougher ones like lay down. You can't really use a treat when teaching stay because they are going to want to come to you for the treat.

:)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried the clicker training and treat training and Jax did not respond at all to the clicker but he loved getting his treats. I need to start doing the command and then treat every other time and so on so that he will do the command every time because he does not know if he will get a treat or not.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
My EB always checks to make sure there is a treat in my hand before he does what I want him to do. When I don't have a treat it is 50/50 whether he does the command. Buster, the halfie, will usually do what I want without a treat, BUT if he reallly doesn't want to do something he plants all 4 or lies down, the treat doesn't tempt him. He can be so stubborn!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always liked the 'noting in life is free' training.... treats or praise, but so far all my bullies, no treat, no trick :stinkeye: