Taboo Question

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to ask this or not, but I'm really curious how much you all spent for your frenchies and I'm wondering if they are more expensive here in California or maybe they are just expensive overall as a breed. I know normally they do need help to reproduce with artificial insemination and then the puppies are generally born C sectioon making the cost of the puppies more for sure. But I have seen people charging up to $15K for these guys which I think is nuts!

I spent $2000 for Ollie. His breeder wanted $2500 and I told her my spouce put a limit on me of $2000 but that I would pay cash and she agreed, but after the health issues he had I'm wondering was it such a great deal? The blue fawn's typically go for $3000 -$4000 online.

Don't feel obligated to answer, im just curious did you all have to save to buy your frenchie? I definately did, but I can't ever see myself without one now!

pbois

Reaction score
Well, I definitely don't mind answering. :) I paid the same as you, 2000 for Bolt. I researched for probably 8 months and tried to find a breeder within reasonable driving distance from us. So with the breeders I looked at in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana it seemed the range was anywhere between 1800 - 3000. I have to say I was a little taken back when initially researching at the cost and my husband thought I was nuts, but when you look at all that goes into breeding this breed it makes sense.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Well, I definitely don't mind answering. :) I paid the same as you, 2000 for Bolt. I researched for probably 8 months and tried to find a breeder within reasonable driving distance from us. So with the breeders I looked at in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana it seemed the range was anywhere between 1800 - 3000. I have to say I was a little taken back when initially researching at the cost and my husband thought I was nuts, but when you look at all that goes into breeding this breed it makes sense.

I had the same issue with my hubby. He looked at me like I had two heads when I told him the price of a puppy. He's like let's rescue and I told him its few and far between when you can find a local frenchie up for rescue. Had I know about this board I would have checked out the frenchies for rescue for sure. I have rescued my two Golden Retrievers prior to Oliver. Luckily I have the hubby wrapped around my finger so I was able to convince him into spending the 2000, but now that we have spent almost 10K total on him, he's havgin second thoughts about getting another in the future. I told him that's why we have the insurance! He said yes that's true.

pbois

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my hubby. He looked at me like I had two heads when I told him the price of a puppy. He's like let's rescue and I told him its few and far between when you can find a local frenchie up for rescue. Had I know about this board I would have checked out the frenchies for rescue for sure. I have rescued my two Golden Retrievers prior to Oliver. Luckily I have the hubby wrapped around my finger so I was able to convince him into spending the 2000, but now that we have spent almost 10K total on him, he's havgin second thoughts about getting another in the future. I told him that's why we have the insurance! He said yes that's true.

Haha, "like I had two heads" is the perfect way to describe what happened in our house too. In his mind for that price he could buy a "started retriever" that is well on its way to being a "finished" retriever and yet I wanted to pay that much for a puppy that was just going to hang out with us. Luckily my daughter and I wore him down and he really just loves him.....Bolt travels with us to our retriever events and is always a hit with everyone. I will probably start looking for a second puppy next year sometime and won't have the little resistance I did when I started to look from him since Bolt paved the way.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind answering either. I paid $2,000 for Jax and got him from a breeder in Oklahoma as there were no local breeders that had any puppies available and I didn't want to wait! I was determined to find a fawn, black masked puppy so I searched high and low on Puppyfind.com, did some research and spoke to people that had gotten puppies from the same breeder and the rest is history!

trishkidd24

Reaction score
My husband had been bugging a lot about getting a new side by side four wheeler and I was pretty against it. So one day as he was trying to convince me we needed a new machine, he said "come on, you can get whatever you want? Even a puppy"... When he said that I gave him the ok for the machine and I think he instantly regretted that statement.
I did some research on small dogs because I knew I didn't want another big dog since we already had two. And I can across the French bulldog! Loved everything I read about their personality and demeanor so we started searching for breeders. I was lucky and found a veterinarian who breed them about 30 minutes away. We met with her and the parents and fell in love.
We spent $1,850 for marg. My husband almost died when I told him how much they were, but after he met her and her parents he agreed it seemed like the perfect fit for our lifestyle and family. Our price included limited AKC registration. We did not received any health guarantee, but she did have X-rays and a full check up before we brought her home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We were very lucky and privileged, Chelios was a freebie... our vet gave him to us as he was an owner surrender. However, we do know the original owned paid $3000 for him

Alice Kable

Reaction score
As I've explained before, Buster's mom is an OEB and I paid $3,000 for him and got a $2,200 refund when we found out his dad is a very sneaky Frenchie.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well it mostly depends on the bloodline. The breeders I know and the bloodlines we use are 3500 to 5000.

mhuinker

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to ask this or not, but I'm really curious how much you all spent for your frenchies and I'm wondering if they are more expensive here in California or maybe they are just expensive overall as a breed. I know normally they do need help to reproduce with artificial insemination and then the puppies are generally born C sectioon making the cost of the puppies more for sure. But I have seen people charging up to $15K for these guys which I think is nuts!

I spent $2000 for Ollie. His breeder wanted $2500 and I told her my spouce put a limit on me of $2000 but that I would pay cash and she agreed, but after the health issues he had I'm wondering was it such a great deal? The blue fawn's typically go for $3000 -$4000 online.

Don't feel obligated to answer, im just curious did you all have to save to buy your frenchie? I definately did, but I can't ever see myself without one now!

I've seen some blues listed for 4000-4500! I would say you got a fair deal in my opinion, but I'm no expert. I looked at several reputable breeders, and their puppies ranged from 2700-3000, which I was willing to
Pay after having done my homework. However, since Leo was 3 years old when we adopted him, he cost WELL under 2000.

HugosMama

Reaction score
A lot. We are asked this frequently and my daughter has advised me to say that he "fit within our budget." :) Let's just say I had to save quite a while for him to fit within our budget! I did find some that were not as expensive (relatively speaking of course because they were still a lot) , but went with my gut on on this puppy, and have to say that his disposition so far is to die for! It was important for me to meet the parents due to the fact that previously I had a really shy VERY large breed dog and although I hardly ever hear of a shy Frenchie, I just wanted to hedge my bets on the disposition of the puppy I was getting and for this reason I wasn't as interested in shipping a puppy.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
We'll I'm glad to hear most of us have spent about what I did on Ollie. Makes me feel better and not so nuts. Lol

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I see puppies go for about $2000 around here (Midwest) consistently. However, the adults go for way less. I would say $500 or less is what I see them listed at. But of course most of the adults are "rehomes" and not from a breeder anymore.

Jade

Reaction score
Gosh your Frenchies are so expensive! Mine is going to cost me EUR 400 and that is the most expensive I have seen here but I'm in Cyprus and the vet bills here are very cheap!

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
I was very fortunate to find Cosette in May when her family had to give her up due to severe allergies. She was in NC but came from a breeder in California. Don't know what they spent but I got her for 450. which to me was a gift. She'll be three in a few weeks.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Great answers....I guess I need to ship one from Europe.....but I can't imagine making a puppy sit in a plane that long. LOL

kim

Reaction score
Piper was 2200.00 and worth every penny.

Babette

Reaction score
We paid $2000 for Babetty. My husband was very very very against it until he met her. Now he tells me he always wants to have at least one in the house and jokes about winning the lottery and owning a frenchie herd. :D