Flying with Frenchies

rambosmom

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I have a lovely English Bulldog named Rambo. We travel a lot and drive everywhere so we do not have to fly him. He has been across the US once and down to Mexico twice.

We would love to add a Frenchie to our family but I was wondering what people's flying experiences have been (should we ever need to fly him or her). I am aware that Frenchies are unable to travel in cargo (which I would never do) but it sounds like they are too big for the size restrictions of the soft sided pet carriers allowed by the airlines once they are full grown,. and it looks like the weight limits (20ish lbs) are less than the average full grown Frenchie.

There must be many breeders who fly their Frenchies for shows etc...how do you manage this? Also, anyone else who may have had experience flying a Frenchie would love to hear from you.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

Terri :)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Every show breeder I know always drives to shows and never flies. I would never fly any dog ,no matter bully or not in the cargo hold of a plane. I have heard of people losing Labs, German Shepherds and so on in the cargo hold. If they stack too much stuff around their crate, they can suffocate. We travel all over with ours and they always do well in the car.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I have contacted many breeders of frenchies that do in fact fly their puppies to thier new owners in the cargo part of the plane. Now, do I think it's a good idea? NO I don't. It's extremely loud, cold or HOT depending on the part of the country they are flying from or to and frenchies don't do well in extreme heat or cold. I would not want my dog in the cargo hold of an airplane, it would freak me out that he would be scared to death and I could never put my baby through that. The next breeder I choose will probably not be in my state which means I will have to drive to go an get him, but to me, it's worth the sacrifice to ensure my baby is safe, secure, and remains alive.

Definitely would not fly my boy.