Mayhem is growing up!

Jess M

Reaction score
So, I let Mayhem out for his last
Potty break of the night and he lifted
his leg for the first time to urinate!
My baby is growing up. (Sniffle sniffle)
:tissue:

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Congratulations, Jess! But have no fear, Mayhem will go back to squatting like a girl when he feels like it, at least my boys always do! Some pees deserve a hike, and some pees don't!

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Aww! ha My golden retriever is 4 and he has never lifted his leg... Ha not sure why? My male boxer feels the need to lift his leg and pee on everything though.. ha

My Boxer also insists on waiting until my frenchie girl pees, and then the goes after she is done and pees direct on the spot she went. Anyone know why he insists on doing this?? Is it a dominance thing?

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Aww! ha My golden retriever is 4 and he has never lifted his leg... Ha not sure why? My male boxer feels the need to lift his leg and pee on everything though.. ha

My Boxer also insists on waiting until my frenchie girl pees, and then the goes after she is done and pees direct on the spot she went. Anyone know why he insists on doing this?? Is it a dominance thing?

Hi Trish, you have it correct. The boxer is marking OVER your frenchie. My boxer does the same thing. He is the alpha dog in the pack so he marks over everyone else's scent. Ollie still squats to pee, but both my other two lift the leg. I wonder if Ollie will ever have the coordination to lift his leg. He still falls over when he shakes!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yay for Mayhem! Jax is almost 8 months old and still squats when he pees. I heard that male dogs don't automatically lift their leg, that it is something they learn from other male dogs. If this is true, Jax will probably never lift his leg.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Ruggles, Buster's big brother and mentor doesn't lift his leg ever, but Mack (RIP), Ruggles big brother and mentor always lifted his leg. Buster sometimes lifts his leg to pee on a clump of grass or a bush when we are on a walk, but at home he always squats. I think it has to do with how macho they think they are!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
:rofl: Cheli is 2 yrs old and still has never lifted his leg