Stenotic Nares

Rosie

Reaction score
A month ago we adopted a wonderful 1 1/2 year old French Bulldog. We are having her spayed tomorrow and the vet has recommended that she have her stenotic nares corrected at the same time. Our dog seems to breath very well for a French Bulldog, she barely snores and is a pretty quiet breather in general. Although, of course, we do hear the breathing more after she has been running around. The first vet that saw her actually remarked on how well she breathes and didn't even mention the possibility of the stenotic nares surgery. I am very torn about whether or not to have this the surgery and yet don't want to have to have her put under anesthesia a second time. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Maybe a 3rd vet opinion would be a good thing. I know some vets want to "fix" everything on Bulldogs.

Welcome to you and Rosie. We love pictures here!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I'm with Alice on this one, not even sure I would get the third opinion. Post a picture of her nose on here and let's see the airway. I read the thread header and thought what is THAT? I looked it up. They will cut the opening of the nostril on both sides to improve the airway. If she is breathing well now and does not have an elongated soft palete (which she probably does almost ALL frenchies do) then I probably would not opt for the additional surgery. I would call the first vet and ask them if they recommended it after seeing her. If they didn't then I probably would not do it. I say that, and when my boy was under the knife for his neutering I did have his soft palete lasered off since he needed it. From what I read most vets will recommend this for young dogs that are going under for neutering or spay surgery since it's easier on the dog to do it while they are young and will heal faster. I'm not sure I would cut my dogs nose open though unless I felt he really needed it. It looks awful after surgery from the pics I saw. Course I'm sure the throat didn't look good either after Ollie's surgery but I couldn't see it. Gosh I feel like I'm no help at all! LOL

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am way late, but I would not have it done unless totally necessary. Just because she is going under, does not mean you do something that may not be necessary.

Hope all is well with Roise. Please keep us posted.

I Love Louie

Reaction score
How do you know if they have stenotic nares because Lou has been doing some weird breathing thing and making some strange noises and his nostril openings don't look very big. I worry about him.

winginit66

Reaction score
Do a google images search and you will see lots of examples.

winginit66

Reaction score
How do you know if they have stenotic nares because Lou has been doing some weird breathing thing and making some strange noises and his nostril openings don't look very big. I worry about him.

Do a google images search and you will see lots of examples.