Does he know his name?

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Could it be possible Louie doesn't know his name yet??? We have had him since beginning of September and he either doesn't know it or chooses to ignore us when we say his name!!! I've had many other dogs in my lifetime all of which have learned their name pretty quickly.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Well, I'd bet he's choosing to ignore you, there is a special condition called "Bulldog deafness" that is especially apparent when the Bulldog is busy doing what he wants to do. I'm assuming he reacts to sound!

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Ha it must be a frenchie trait.... Trust me my Marg definitely knows her name..... She just only chooses to answer to it every now and then... I swear I think she is deaf sometimes because she will be in the yard smelling something when I call her to come in, and she wont even flinch.

BellaMayBulldog

Reaction score
Frenchie stubbornness! Yours knows his name, he is choosing not to hear you! Haha, they should be glad they are so cute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure he knows his name! There was a time I had thought Jax was deaf cause I would be saying his name loudly and he would not respond at all. I quickly realized it was just him CHOOSING to ignore me.

mhuinker

Reaction score
I definitely agree that it is stubbornness! :) I know Leo knows his name because he chooses to listen sometimes and others not. My husband doesn't believe he knows his name, but I know otherwise just from what I've observed! :) I love him to pieces, but he is definitely a bulldog through and through! :havemyheart:

- - - Updated - - -

Frenchie stubbornness! Yours knows his name, he is choosing not to hear you! Haha, they should be glad they are so cute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boy, ain't that the truth!! LOL

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I have to agree with everyone. He most likely knows his name and is showing you that typical bully stubborn side. It's probably not his cutest side, but we all have sides we don't love, right? LOL Ollie is the same way I can call him and he just keeps on chewing my slipper, like mom isn't even in the room.

I Love Louie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments I feel better about it now and yes he does react to sound so I know he's not deaf I guess he's just as stubborn as the rest of my kids!!!!

I Love Louie

Reaction score
I also want to add that I'm totally seeing the frenchie stubbornness Louie bites everything in sight and even my kids are getting aggravated because he bites them their pant legs and clothes and you have to holler at him numerous times and he still doesn't stop!!!! Anyone have any disciplinary tricks ???

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Yep I agree with every one else, just ignoring you.

Rudi Lim

Reaction score
Boxy, my male frenchie only responds to the word 'food' and when he hears the ruffling of plastic bags.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I also want to add that I'm totally seeing the frenchie stubbornness Louie bites everything in sight and even my kids are getting aggravated because he bites them their pant legs and clothes and you have to holler at him numerous times and he still doesn't stop!!!! Anyone have any disciplinary tricks ???

When we first got Jax he would bite and pull on everyone's pant legs, the curtains and everything else he was able to pull. I bought Apple Bitter Spray from Petsmart, sprayed the curtains and my pant legs and after a few tastes, stopped the pulling on the curtains and clothes.

Babette

Reaction score
Selective hearing. I bet he 'learns' it real quick when a treat is involved. :D

gmarti20

Reaction score
I think it's going to take a while for my 11 week old boy to know his name.... my wife and I have multiple nicknames for him.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
some call it stubborn, others will say ignoring -- I tend to think they are contemplating what they want to do or not do :D

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Quella is the same way. Blantantly ignores me when I call her name, give her kissey noises, clap my hands. And most of the time, she's just sitting in a corner or wandering aimlessly though the house. It's not even like she's intrigued with a toy or naughty. I've been spending more time calling her name when she is within my reach, but when she's distracted. That way I can blow in her ear to get her attention or make several noises and when she makes eye contact, I'll reward her with a treat. It's works roughly 65% of the time. I think the hardest thing is when wandering Petsmart or training class and I call her name and she keeps walking or veers to smell (and knock off) items from the shelves. I luckily have the advantage and can pull her leash to bring her right next to me; however e-m-b-a-r-a-s-s-i-n-g. Anyone use any other tools to get their pups to recognize their name and you as the leader?

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too.

FrenchieDante

Reaction score
I'm only five days in and I can relate. I was googling DIY noisemakers to get Danté's attention... Because "NO" is not cutting it anymore so.... Anyone do the beans in a can trick?!

eeturk

Reaction score
We thought Hudson was deaf for a while... Did a bunch of tests and everything. Turns out he is just a bulldog, haha. He's gotten better with age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk