3 month old or 6 month old

ks310

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im just wondering everyone's opinion.

I am about to get a French Bulldog. I have narrowed my choices down to four. They are all from different breeders that seem to be good quality.

2 of the puppies are older 5 months and 6 months old.

2 of them are 12 weeks old.

Do you think it is better to get a younger puppy at 12 weeks or one a bit older?

It's hard to decide.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Hmmm just my personal opinion, but I would prefer to get a 12 week old. I find it easier to train a puppy at that age, then older, especially if they have develop bad habits from their current owner and they are already 6 months old.

A friend of mine purchased a 7 month old English Bulldog from a breeder that had him returned to him, and even though she loves the dog and he is so sweet, he has a ton of behaviorally issues she is having a hard time breaking now because of his age.

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I'm just the opposite. I say the older the better. Lol I think most puppies learn quickly if you are consistent with training. But yes, if you do want to enjoy as much of the puppy stage as you can, I'd go for the younger puppies. I do agree that puppies are adorable but after all the puppies we've raised around here as fosters, whew....I think it's nice when they are adults! :)

pbois

Reaction score
Hmm, really you probably can't go wrong either way. I think if I chose the older pups then the breeder should have them well on their way to being house broken and have some basic manners in the house......if the breeder told me nothing had been done I, personally, would go with the 12 week pups. Really though, 3 month pup vs 5 month pup isn't a huge difference to me if all things are equal with the breeder and how he/she has raised them.

Go visit and see which one chooses you. :D

Alice Kable

Reaction score
One thing about a 5 or 6 month old pup is any breathing problems would be obvious. Also, you know what they are going to look like as adults, they have some filling out to do, but like if they are going to have an underbite you could tell. That said, I LOVE puppies. I would pick the healthiest, best temperament, and color I like best! I'm excited for you!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We got Cheli at 8 months and he feel right into place and was somewhat trained already too

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well it depends on the breeder, if they house trained the older pups then that is the way to go. One less thing you have to do. We always start potty training our pups early.