Toe Nails - Clipped or Filed down?

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
Ollie's nails grow quite quickly and while I'm pretty good at cutting them I have hit the tip if his quick twice now and hearing him scream in pain from my mistake is hard for me to take. I'm wondering if it would be better to take him to petco and have his nails filed down with an electric nail file instead? What do you all do about your frenchie's nails?

jlsr

Reaction score
Hi,
I use my dremel to grind roo's nails. That way they.can be rounded so less scratching my floor. I grind them at least once a week to keep them nice and short. His feet tend to spread if his nails get long.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We have Ruggles and Buster's nails clipped at the vets 3 times a year. I walk them on pavement and we have all tile floors so that keeps them from getting too long!

gmarti20

Reaction score
We cut Kilo's nails last night, but I feel like they're still way too long.... I was afraid of making him bleed. How do you know where exactly to clip the nail?

mhuinker

Reaction score
We use the dremel on Leo's nails. It doesn't seem to bother him.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Hazel would rather have hers Dremeled than cut. You can get a cordless Dremel for about $30 to $35 at Home Depot or Lowes.

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I cut Stella's. She's a spaz when I try to do anything but her nails are clear so that makes it a little easier. Her EB brother Tank however, I have to take him to a groomer and hold him up with his legs hanging down so the groomer can cut them while he can't get traction and run away. It's quite a sight! Lol

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We do both... at Petco for 15.00, they clip and then file the edges for us

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I take Jax to Petsmart and let them do it. I am too scared to do it myself in fear of cutting the quick and making him cry/bleed. I usually take him in for a "spa" day once a month (bath, nail trim, ear cleaning) and then bring him in between for a nail trim as his nails grow super fast.

winginit66

Reaction score
I got one of Gidget's the last time I did them and now I'm really anxious about doing them again... I was anxious before but worse now. She didn't make a peep but it bled lots. The styptic pencil I had didn't do a darn thing so I made a flour paste and my husband held her for a long time. I did not know about a dremel but... I don't know if I could do that either.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Cosette runs when she figures out her nails will be clipped.
My first Frenchie let me hold her like a baby when I clipped her nails.
I also nicked Cosette a few weeks ago.

Tgirl

Reaction score
I just clip mine. I do a lot at work though so I'm comfortable with it. They are also used to it, since I've done it from day one, so that helps.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

mhuinker

Reaction score
Cosette runs when she figures out her nails will be clipped.
My first Frenchie let me hold her like a baby when I clipped her nails.
I also nicked Cosette a few weeks ago.

Leo sits in my lap like a little baby while daddy takes the dremel to him. So far so good, daddy is very good and hasn't gotten any quicks. We file them down oneself a week in hopes to get them a tiny bit shorter each time.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I bought a dremel and we did it once so far. Ollie is not thrilled with it, but he seems better about it then the clippers and it's easier for me not to hit the quick. I like it much better. Thanks for all the advice!

Calle Roo

Reaction score
I've been using the tips and techniques at the below site, but am still having troubles. I have nail clippers and a dremel; however once Q is held and the tools go anywhere near her, she turns in to a maniac, flailing around and gouging anything she can get with her razor sharp uncut nails. :hissy: I can put pressure on her feet, play with the nails, etc. and not even phase her though. In the past 2 months, I had the vet's office trim her nails once and another time I was able to trim at least half of her nails over a few days. I figured I'm not getting anywhere on my own, so I'll let a professional handle her and hopefully after a few visits, she may become more calm and I'll be able to shorten them at home.

I called a few groomers near my house and was quoted $10-15 for trimming and $3-7 to clean her ears as well. I luckily found a nice lady, really close to home and she will trim for $7 and dremel for $10 and will ear clean for free. I decided to bring Quella today on my lunch break. They have 4 groomers onsite, one of which was the owner and the place was very clean with 4-6 dogs getting groomed or caged awaiting their owners. For $23, I may even drop Q off for a few hours and get groomed, dremeled, etc. I liked that the dogs aren't caged in a back room and all of the cages were in the main grooming area to watch the action until their parents pick them up. Unfortunately I wasn't able to hold Q while the lady dremeled, because she was flailing around so a guy groomer assisted in restraining Q while she had her nails shortened. They are SUPER short and look/feel amazing! :dance6: Now she won't be able to snag the customers at Petsmart dresses (I did warn that she was a jumper and had super long nails, but she continued to squat down to wrestle Q).

http://frenchbulldognews.com/content.php/27-Drama-Free-Nail-Clipping-What-you-need-to-know

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

eeturk

Reaction score
a3e8ege9.jpg

Hudson sits like this to have his filed. I also have a neighbor (who also has a Frenchie with the tough black nails!) who will occasionally cut them. He couldn't care less either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk