Food Survey--What is everyone feeding their Frenchies??

KimB3384

Reaction score
[MENTION=746]Maddie[/MENTION] - if you're considering doing raw, you should check out this site: http://reelrawdog.com/.

They have mixes that are 80-10-10, and have tons of other stuff that you can't get elsewhere (tripe, for example). Because Bisou is so tiny, I can get ~40 meals out of one of their 10 lb. packages. That winds up being less than $1 a meal! I won't do grinds all the time because I want to mix it up for her, but they're pretty convenient and easy. I also give her at least one meal a week of a can of sardines. That was less than $2.

If you're on Facebook, there are a number of good raw groups - one in particular for bulldogs. Raw Fed Bulldog Breeds. Great resources for research and feedback.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I didnt know about the Raw Fed Bulldog Group on facebook. Thanks for the tip. Just joined :)

Maddie

Reaction score
If your dog is prone to yeast, you want to make sure you avoid foods with potatoes, sweet potatoes, and honey.

If you're at all interested in researching raw, check out this site: http://reelrawdog.com/. They've got mixes on there that wind up being $2.99/lb. and are already at the right level of meat/bone/organ. I did the math and can feed my gal for less than $50/mo.

So have you ordered from them yet? Keep us posted on how your baby likes it. I am assuming its shipped in dry ice. I stopped by a local pet shop that sells high end kibble and raw. One of the owners appears to be a pet nutritionist. Chatted with her for a while today. She suggested Zignature kibble. Grain free, no potatoes....if I were to keep Maddie on kibble. The raw suggestion from her was a brand named Steve's Real Food. Price range $35 to $40 depending on flavor protein for 9.75 lbs. So much to consider....we all want the best for our Frenchies.

Maddie

Reaction score
[MENTION=746]Maddie[/MENTION] - if you're considering doing raw, you should check out this site: http://reelrawdog.com/.

They have mixes that are 80-10-10, and have tons of other stuff that you can't get elsewhere (tripe, for example). Because Bisou is so tiny, I can get ~40 meals out of one of their 10 lb. packages. That winds up being less than $1 a meal! I won't do grinds all the time because I want to mix it up for her, but they're pretty convenient and easy. I also give her at least one meal a week of a can of sardines. That was less than $2.

If you're on Facebook, there are a number of good raw groups - one in particular for bulldogs. Raw Fed Bulldog Breeds. Great resources for research and feedback.

How much does Bisou weigh?? Never thought of feeding sardines...

KimB3384

Reaction score
She tips the scale at a whopping 16.5 lbs., which makes me worry all the time. But her frame is really petite and I can't easily feel her ribs, so I think she's fine.

The sardines are supposed to be great for shiny coats and all the other good things that omega 3's are responsible for. I get Season Brand in water with no salt added. One of those cans is the perfect serving size for her, and she LOVES them. I swear, she has some cat DNA in her somewhere. I also work with a woman who raises a couple of ducks, so I'll get eggs from her and feed one of those a week. I add it to the top of Bees' food and watch her go bananas. I guess that's the thing I really enjoy about feeding raw - the enthusiasm. Seeing your dog act like a pogo stick because he/she is so excited for the meal is pretty cool.

KimB3384

Reaction score
So have you ordered from them yet? Keep us posted on how your baby likes it. I am assuming its shipped in dry ice. I stopped by a local pet shop that sells high end kibble and raw. One of the owners appears to be a pet nutritionist. Chatted with her for a while today. She suggested Zignature kibble. Grain free, no potatoes....if I were to keep Maddie on kibble. The raw suggestion from her was a brand named Steve's Real Food. Price range $35 to $40 depending on flavor protein for 9.75 lbs. So much to consider....we all want the best for our Frenchies.

I just placed my first order. They say it takes about two weeks to get your food because they have to, you know, get the product all together (yeesh!), and I knew we were heading out of town, so I didn't want it coming and sitting outside for days on end. I contacted a number of local butchers and no one had the capability of grinding bone, and bone is important for solid stool, so I'm really hoping this place works out well. I'll keep you all posted!

meggypoo328

Reaction score
I've been using Fromm family foods. It's dry food all natural and filler-free. High in protein which is good for the bulldogs.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I just placed my first order. They say it takes about two weeks to get your food because they have to, you know, get the product all together (yeesh!), and I knew we were heading out of town, so I didn't want it coming and sitting outside for days on end. I contacted a number of local butchers and no one had the capability of grinding bone, and bone is important for solid stool, so I'm really hoping this place works out well. I'll keep you all posted!

Is Bisou a good chewer? If so you can give her bones (raw.NEVER cooked) to chew on and eat. Maybe see if your pet store sells them frozen. Mine sells all kinds of frozen bones. But make sure they are big and take away any smaller pieces. Its really good for her teeth also. Maple gets Chicken Necks/other whole bones about 1-2 x a week and her teeth are super strong and super white.
But I hope everything works out with the online store. I can see how this would be much easier.

And I know exactly what you mean about the enthusiasm. It is great to see your dog so excited. Imagine eating the same dry toast every day.Booooring. Fresh meat and whole fresh ingredients with a variety offered THAT sounds delicious :)

KimB3384

Reaction score
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] - she's a good chewer when it comes to moose antlers or her Nylabone, but she's a gulper when it comes to her food. She was the runt of the litter, and the only girl - with three big, sturdy brothers. I think she learned to scarf down what she could get, when she could get it. I used to have to sit there with her while she ate and literally pull her away from the food so that she could breathe and chew. I've given her chicken drumsticks twice now, and both times she did fine but I was a nervous wreck. And I figure if I'm that uncomfortable, it's got to be making her uncomfortable. There were two separate posts in different FB raw groups where owners had dogs choke on neck bones this week, and I'm just not interested in that. If I could find something that I knew for sure wasn't going to cause her any issues, I'd be fine with it. But I'm a nervous Nellie when it comes to bones.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Oh wow. You're right defintely dont give her any bones if she is in such a hurry to swallow. I wouldnt be able to do it either, and I mean thats not the point of it. YOU and your dog should enjoy feeding time.Maybe in a few years or so she will calm down.

Ill keep my fingers crossed that it works out with the online store.

Maddie

Reaction score
Ok....so we started Maddie on Steve's Real Food a few days ago. So far so good. She seems to like it just fine. Also started raw goat milk...as a treat mid day. She LOVES it. I'm worried about giving her store bought treats...grain free, of course. Any brand suggestions? And I'm assuming it's ok to give them to her. A little paranoid, since we're not supposed to mix kibble.

A problem with our 3 chihuahuas....trying to switch them too. One will eat raw and the other 2 won't. Any tricks?? I'm thinking they don't like it cause it's cold. They've also been spoiled with table scraps over the years...haven't told them yet, but, no more table scraps. :w00t:

eeturk

Reaction score
Ok....so we started Maddie on Steve's Real Food a few days ago. So far so good. She seems to like it just fine. Also started raw goat milk...as a treat mid day. She LOVES it. I'm worried about giving her store bought treats...grain free, of course. Any brand suggestions? And I'm assuming it's ok to give them to her. A little paranoid, since we're not supposed to mix kibble.

A problem with our 3 chihuahuas....trying to switch them too. One will eat raw and the other 2 won't. Any tricks?? I'm thinking they don't like it cause it's cold. They've also been spoiled with table scraps over the years...haven't told them yet, but, no more table scraps. :w00t:

I feed Stella and chewy raw, and I feed the dehydrated kind. I rehydrate with warm water, so that may work for the picky chihuahuas since it ends up warm. My dog goes nuts for it. I also love the Stella and chewy treats. They're raw too which I really like.

mmclean

Reaction score
Radar absolutely loves the Orijen treats. I call it his puppy crack and hasn't caused any issues.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I would definitely get rid of the sweet potato ingredient. Can be inflammatory and cause ear issues.

lkclark

Reaction score
I fed Bear a few flakes of tuna yesterday and he really liked it.

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Quella was on Stella & Chewys Duck Duck Goose frozen in the morning and Orijen Puppy in the evening, however with an elevated liver enzyme, we eliminated the raw while on her 2 week supply of antibiotics. Now she has Orijen Puppy as well as berries mixed in; such as strawberry, blue, rasp and black at 1/2 cup portion each meal. She also gets a banana, apple, peach or pear split in 2-3 servings as a snack each day. I unfortunately had to take away her serving of yogurt each day as it was causing severe diarrhea, even in small portions. I hate to say I'm still 'playing' with her foods and portions, but I kind of am and am learning from each of you as what foods, natural supplements, etc should be given. :ponder:

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

lkclark

Reaction score
I'm learning also as I go to see what works.

Bear is still on the Fromm Puppy.
I feed him twice a day, 3/4 cup each time (with a handful of berries, apples, peaches, etc. added to his breakfast). Then I add to his kibble a nugget of Primal Raw duck.

Every few days he gets a Fortiflora probiotic, and he's on a daily NuVet.

I also feed fruit/veggies as snacks.
He likes gnawing on carrot for example, or even licks a banana right out of the skin for 30 min.

EnzosDad

Reaction score
Feeding Blue Buffalo Puppy Small Breed. May switch to grain free.