Oh chowder :( **venting + questions inside hahaha **

tonytones

Reaction score
I dont know if im over thinking this or if this is normal.

so when i came home after work i went to pick up chowder to give him kisses. right when i picked him up (with my hands under his from arms) he started to whelp and cry. I, immediately put him down and was worried. So then i tried again and he cried again. Then right after he went and took a really big poop. Then little later my girlfriend picked him up and he did the same, then couple minutes later he went again and dropped another big load.

can dogs cry due to being constipated and uncomfortable. Fearing the worst i wanted to take him to the emergency vet, but after calling my breeder she said its probably nothing serious if hes walking/eating, and drinking water.

What kind of scares me is hes usually playful at these times, but he is being a lazy butt. Hes sitting down and just wanting to sleep. He'll have his moments when we give him his plush toy he'll try to fetch then right after he is pooped.

He is on benadryl kids liquid (7ml a day for an ear infection) (today is his last day and he is done) usually hes not this tired, but maybe today is just that day for him.

I also put him on his side and felt all up and down his body and no crying. I pulled his legs,twisted gently and even picked him up again and no crying. So i believe he is better.

My girlfriend fed him 10 frozen blueberries @ lunch today along with his food. Hes been on himalayan dog fews for hte past couple days, and elk antlers. I wonder if this has anythign to do with it.

its crazy cause im thinking of the worst cast scenario. let me know what you guys think.

also ive noticed when chowder walks/runs he kind of walks in an angle (almost looks like hes drifting with his back end out to the side a bit) also when he sits hes been putting his legs off to the side (looking very comfy) is this normal?

Thank you for hearing me out and my venting. Its scary when things like this happen because this is my first frenchie puppy, and i think breeders and websites do a great job of making sure everyone know Frenchies are plagued with health problems :)

FrenchieDante

Reaction score
He was probably just really full. Danté was really full yesterday and I could tell his tummy hurt. Now i'm paranoid to feed him more than half a cup in one sitting. He didn't cry though. Hope he feels better :(

tonytones

Reaction score
yeah hes just been acting real sluggish, hes usually really good with peeing/pooping on the pad as well, and he missed a couple times already.

im hoping that its just stomach discomfort from (blueberries/dog chew/antlers) whatever it is i pray that it will pass after he sleeps tonight.

he seems so attached to my gf right now and just wants to sleep on her lap. :( poor chowder.

lkclark

Reaction score
Okay...the part where you mentioned him running at an angle is what I'm curious about because Bear does the same thing. It's exactly like you said - his hind legs drift to one side while he runs and he almost always sits on his hip.

tonytones

Reaction score
Okay...the part where you mentioned him running at an angle is what I'm curious about because Bear does the same thing. It's exactly like you said - his hind legs drift to one side while he runs and he almost always sits on his hip.

I asked my breeder (they're pretty knowledgeable and I actually talk to them before going to my vet to save me the troubles, and they said it's very normal. I said it's almost like his drifting she laughed and said yeah we see that a lot. I think if it was an issue they'll let me know. I asked about any hip problems that might be present and they said probably not. Id love to see our forum members chime in about this as well.
Oh and btw does your frenchies jump? I feel like chowder doesn't

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Putting his legs of to the side is a normal Frenchie position. They sometimes like to sit like this or on their bum like humans. Usually nothing to worry about.
The drifting while walking I have seen before,I think its not desirable (when you show your dog you have to walk on a straight line in front of the judge so he can see your dogs movement and I believe they want to see a straight walk) but I dont think (not sure though) its anything harmful/serious.
Now with the crying this is something concerning. But you saidnit went away after he pooped? Otherwise I would have suggested going to the vet and getting Xrays done because something might be causing a blockage and may need removal. This is especially true with large pieces of the antlers. Maybe check them and see how much is missing. Or if anything else in the house is missing that he could have eaten.

lkclark

Reaction score
I asked my breeder (they're pretty knowledgeable and I actually talk to them before going to my vet to save me the troubles, and they said it's very normal. I said it's almost like his drifting she laughed and said yeah we see that a lot. I think if it was an issue they'll let me know. I asked about any hip problems that might be present and they said probably not. Id love to see our forum members chime in about this as well.
Oh and btw does your frenchies jump? I feel like chowder doesn't

He does jump when we play but I try to discourage it for the sake of his joints.

tonytones

Reaction score
Quick update on chowder. He seems to be doing a little better this morning. He is still eating taking his treats etc. He has a little more energy than yesterday. He's normally a low-medium energy dog so I don't expect him to go insane, but it's good to see him trying to nip my shirt/fboxers again.

I wonder what it was though? I wish these pups would write down on a paper what's wrong with them hahaha

FrenchieDante

Reaction score
I'm sure he was just full and/or constipated. If it was your first time giving little Chowder blueberries, maybe his little tummy was learning to digest them properly.

winginit66

Reaction score
I hear ya! Wishing they could just say, my leg hurts. Wilson has just been 'off' since he was neutered. When we took him, he was limping on his front leg just that morning. Was WAY worse after the surgery. Took him for xrays, etc. Then he was limping on his back leg... He just hasn't had his normal spark... listless and just lies in his bed and watches the others. Still eating and pooping normally so I'm not in freak-out mode. I am going to make him an appt. for some bloodwork and see what they say.

Back to your concerns.. I would say if he is eating / pooping / peeing normally, on schedule etc. and has interest in food not to worry. You say he's been listless, but on Benadryl... I think that is your answer.

Oh my gosh, Gidget could compete in agility trials she is that quick and athletic. Olivia is too, but is looking like she is going to be a little heavier than Gidget. But jumping, yes all 3 of them. And sitting with legs out to the side, yes. Olivia does all the time.

Keep us posted!

tonytones

Reaction score
thank you! he was doing his normal routine, chase the squeaky toy this morning. I would like to say and label chowder as a low/medium energy dog. haha he's off benadryl now so we'll see how he acts.

his routines are usually wake up @ 6:30 play till 7:30 eat play then sleep around 8:30 till mom or dad gets home to feed him again. then repeat.

his last shots is tomorrow @ the vet, so im gonna ask them a couple questions while im there.

Thank you guys for all your support, i was freaking out for a second. Ill keep you guys updated.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
I think he's probably fine. If he had a blockage and he was in pain all the time you would know it. He would cry everytime you picked him up. Since you said he hasent cried out again I would think it was probably constipated or just needed to go and that was his way of telling you.

My advise, if you are ever in doubt always air on the side of caution and call or go see the vet. :)

tonytones

Reaction score
I think he's probably fine. If he had a blockage and he was in pain all the time you would know it. He would cry everytime you picked him up. Since you said he hasent cried out again I would think it was probably constipated or just needed to go and that was his way of telling you.

My advise, if you are ever in doubt always air on the side of caution and call or go see the vet. :)

thanks Julie, ill check up on him today as well to see if hes feeling better. If not ill go straight to the vet tomorrow.

mmclean

Reaction score
I'm thinking the sluggishness was due to the Benadryl (so agreeing with everyone above). Regarding the jumping... Radar needs a step stool to get on the couch, I know I have become one of those puppy parents. The only time he has much agility is when he is going after the hair dryer, other than that, he is not the most athletic guy and I don't foresee agility classes in his future. However, his favorite past time is to play chase with the big dogs at the dog park (the little dogs either don't like Radar or are scared of him for some strange reason, maybe all the fun noises he makes). He goes flying around the park as fast as his little legs will take him and it's quite the entertainment for all of the doggy parents. I have gone to quite a few Frenchie meetups and each one seems to have a different "skill"; some are ball driven, others stuffed animals or, like mine, chase. I love seeing all of the different forms their funny personalites takes.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sounds like he may have had a belly ache, I would lay off the Himalayan dog chews for a few days and see if that helps. They will walk a little crooked at times, that's where the phrase "Dog tracking" came from.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
How is Chowder doing today? Any better?!?! I find myself thinking about him. That cute little pie face!

tonytones

Reaction score
How is Chowder doing today? Any better?!?! I find myself thinking about him. That cute little pie face!

guys thank you for your concerns :)

CHOWDER IS DOING GOOD!

went to the vet today had him check out chowders legs, and stomach and spine for any signs of pain. Everything was good. Doctor suspected it was the 15 blueberries that my girlfriend fed him.

Hes all good and feeling great! thank you Julie <3

🆕 Latest posts