Extreme skin allergies

penlaso

Reaction score
Hi, I am in need of help!! My frenchie is about 8 months old and has extreme allergies. I have been to the vet multiple times and they have given him pills, after pills, hypoallergenic food, and antibiotics. I have even switched his diet to raw meat in hopes that it would work. Nothing is working and his skin is so ate up right now that it is pretty much raw. Any information would help, I just want him to stop itching!! uploadfromtaptalk1410144738469.jpg

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Have you had an allergy test done? If he is allergic to a certain protein it wont make a difference even if you feed it in a raw form (which is awesome btw :) ).
You can make your own Calendula Tea and fill it in a spray bottle or use a washcloth to put it on the itchy skin. Or you use a tea bag of green tea,dip it into hot water for 30 seconds,then let it cool down and then place it on the itchy spot. Use Green tea only though, not herbal tea.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would have an allergy test done to see what is causing the problem.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
You should have the allergy testing done to see what he is allergic to in the environment. Then you can try allergy shots and maybe an antihistamine, like Zyrtec, Claritin or Benadryl to see if you can get him some relief. If he is suffering from secondary infections from all the scratching, which I assume he is because you mentioned he was on antibiotics, then it may help to bathe him a couple of times per week with a gentle, soap-free shampoo, like Dermabens. If it is food allergies, it will take weeks on the new food before you may see any changes so be patient. I know it is a very frustrating problem as both of mine have allergies.

Lynnie

Reaction score
Rose had allergy flare ups around the same age. My vet explained that food allergies will present themselves within the first year. I switched Rose from beef to Lamb and finally settled well with duck. I came to this conclusion after a strict elimination diet. Her skin and fur finally heathy. After going through all of that...I used a well known flea/heart worm topical and had a flare up within 48hrs. I was so focused food that I overlooked other possibilities...

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
He might be allergic to something outside. Jax had an allergy test done a few months ago and we found out he is allergic to grass, trees, weeds, shrubs...

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My EB, Banks, is allergic to everything green.... what I do is wipe her with a wash cloth after each outing - paws, belly, face, etc. It gets all the pollen, grass. molds, allergens off her so it limits the break outs and scratching. I also h=give her Benedryl twice a day 1 mg per pound

lkclark

Reaction score
You may just be dealing with a residual, secondary bacterial infection of the skin from all of the scratching. That's great what happened to Bear.

Your veterinarian can provide an antibiotic for that.

Reaction score
Hi, I am in need of help!! My frenchie is about 8 months old and has extreme allergies. I have been to the vet multiple times and they have given him pills, after pills, hypoallergenic food, and antibiotics. I have even switched his diet to raw meat in hopes that it would work. Nothing is working and his skin is so ate up right now that it is pretty much raw. Any information would help, I just want him to stop itching!! View attachment 4143
There's a good article on here about allergies. My dog has very bad allergies. I give him allergy injection Bi-weekly, special food, Benadryl, Apoquel, RX shampoo, Vetericyn and he still gets "hot spots". He's bathed weekly and is washed down after going in grass. Find a animal dermatologist for best results. Good luck and do look up the article on here.

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Hoping you found out what was wrong with Fitz any update, sure hope he is feeling better and takes that worry off of you