Allergic reaction (severe)

jmariepienta

Reaction score
Olive was rushed to vet today after developing red swollen areas all over her face, body, and belly. She was given 3 shots....short and long acting steroid plus benedryl. Not sure what caused the reaction but I'm still shook up. My son, thankfully was with me because he had oral surgery today...he was my assistant.

Any suggestions for a topical home remedy I can use on her belly hives??

Thanks everyone!!

2esunyze.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
So was it something she ate or something she came in contact with? Poor Olive.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor baby. The hives will probably go away somewhat quickly on their own, just keep some Benadryl handy. Did she eat or come into contact with anything new? Jax is allergic to everything outside and is on allergy shots but when we first started out with them, he had an allergic reaction twice, once his whole face was swollen and red and the second time he broke out in hives all over his body. I now give him Benadryl with every shot and the dosage is lower so he hasn't had any reactions since but it is scary! Hope she feels better soon and you can figure out the cause.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Try to think of what happen within the hour or so before the breakout-- could be a spider bite or bee sting?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Best just keep Benedryl handy all the time. Hope she gets better soon. The rash should go down soon, if it doesn't you can get some Benedryl cream to put on it.

jmariepienta

Reaction score
My husband thinks it was something she ingested outside this morning but we aren't 100% sure since we didn't change anything in her diet or her surroundings. Definitely keeping benadryl handy and fingers are crossed that we will not experience this again.

mmclean

Reaction score
One harness and one collar in use two harnesses and two collars he either outgrew or hated to distraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My husband thinks it was something she ingested outside this morning but we aren't 100% sure since we didn't change anything in her diet or her surroundings. Definitely keeping benadryl handy and fingers are crossed that we will not experience this again.

it happen to my English Bulldog twice and we never identified what the cause was... I still think a bee sting

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Happened to us once too, we think it was a bee sting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk