Tear Stains!

petitsfilous

Reaction score
How do you all keep that yucky rusty colour from staining your pooches faces?
Do you have anything that you find works well to remove the red staining?

Share your tips please :)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I use malacetic otic ultra... But only to treat stains and bacteria. Otherwise if no staining I use just plain malacetic otic or witch hazel for cleaning every few days.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

kim

Reaction score
My sister has a light colored dog and she uses a product called angel eyes. She has nothing but good stuff to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pickleina

Reaction score
I've been wondering this also. My honey pied puppy has tear stains, but I'm scared to use Angel Eyes since I've been told it's actually antibiotics and I don't want to disrupt her system. I've been wiping the stains down every day with an all-natural baby wipe and then putting Aveeno diaper rash cream on them and it seems to help. Desitin supposedly works better but is really stinky. I've also been putting a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in her water as I've been told that the staining can be caused by a PH imbalance or something like that. This is all kind of a big pain in the butt, so I'd love to hear any simpler suggestions!

petitsfilous

Reaction score
My sister has a light colored dog and she uses a product called angel eyes. She has nothing but good stuff to say about it.

Angel Eyes is not sold here in the UK as it has antibiotics in it... My mum ordered it from America but stopped using it once I told her about the antibiotics.

kim

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more specific. My sister used the all natural one that does not contain any tylosin.

Katie Winchell

Reaction score
I stopped giving Norm tap water and started giving him filtered water that worked. I was using witch hazel daily but since I switched to filtered water I have not had to use it at all.

Debra

Reaction score
I know at my house, it is our tap water, it has a lot of iron :(

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes filtered water is very helpful too!

Another thing that can cause tear stains is food, what kind of food do you feed?

kitkatmummy25

Reaction score
Just googled the wipes and ordered some for Winston, just a quick question do you use the wipe then dry the area with paper towel? I've bought some for Winstons face and his paws.

mhuinker

Reaction score
I use malacetic otic ultra... But only to treat stains and bacteria. Otherwise if no staining I use just plain malacetic otic or witch hazel for cleaning every few days.

Ok, dumb question, but where can you buy witch hazel?

Also, Leo has the rust colored tear stains, but no other issue with his face than that, can I use witch hazel to clean the stain, or will it take the Malacetic?

mhuinker

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more specific. My sister used the all natural one that does not contain any tylosin.

And where can I find Angel Eyes - the natural with no antibiotics in it? :)

MamaAndi

Reaction score
You can buy witch hazel at pretty much any grocery store or pharmacy. I usually find it near the first aid aisle by peroxide.

I used to have an English bulldog who would get bad tear stains. It took awhile but I used baby shampoo and peroxide alternating (just used a baby wipe to gently scrub the folds) and after a couple weeks the stains got lighter and were gone for the most part.

Darn tear stains...the bane of most bulldog owners!!!

mhuinker

Reaction score
I have Malacetic HC wipes. Are these safe for tear stIns?

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
When we first got Ollie he had bad tear stains and his face smelled AWEFUL in those folds. Once we switched him to a grain free food we have not had the smell anymore. I use aloe baby wipes a couple times a week to clean the folds and then I DRY them right after. The drying part is really important.

mhuinker

Reaction score
When we first got Ollie he had bad tear stains and his face smelled AWEFUL in those folds. Once we switched him to a grain free food we have not had the smell anymore. I use aloe baby wipes a couple times a week to clean the folds and then I DRY them right after. The drying part is really important.

Luckily Leo only has the stains, no smell associated with it. He is on grain free and raw food. I'm just wondering what will take the stain color away from his white fur.

winginit66

Reaction score
You can buy witch hazel at pretty much any grocery store or pharmacy. I usually find it near the first aid aisle by peroxide.

I used to have an English bulldog who would get bad tear stains. It took awhile but I used baby shampoo and peroxide alternating (just used a baby wipe to gently scrub the folds) and after a couple weeks the stains got lighter and were gone for the most part.

Darn tear stains...the bane of most bulldog owners!!!

thanks for the baby shampoo tip... Gidget is starting to develop some bad tear stains.