9 week puppy, nighttime potty issues

ikeandberry

Reaction score
So, my 9 week old puppy, Rosie, is peeing in her nighttime crate. On her bed. We have a daytime crate (downstairs) and a nighttime crate (upstairs, next to my bed) for my convenience. The daytime crate has a full bed, her blanket and aaaaaaaall the toys because she drags them in there. Because we're having pottying issues, her nighttime crate has a much smaller bed and only one toy. She does not potty in her daytime crate, but she does potty in her night time crate. Right on her bed. She also does not indicate at night until *after* she's already peed. Do I need to worry about this or is it something that will resolve itself? I'm hoping that as she gets older, she'll just hold it longer. She's very young so I don't, in any way, expect potty perfection. But I don't want her to keep pottying in her bed her whole life, either. TIA!

Tgirl

Reaction score
I would probably set a clock to try to get her out before she goes. If she continues to use her bed as a potty, you could take it out of the crate completely.

ikeandberry

Reaction score
We got her before she went in her crate last night! Yay!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
At 9 weeks old, they can't hold it very long. Consistency and timing is key. High praise when she goes where she is supposed to. Eventually she will get it.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
At 9 weeks... her limit is about 3 hours.... schedule potty breaks even at night for at least every 2-3 hours. For every month old, they can hold it for 1 hour more. So, at 2 months, 3 hours is her limit

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Is the door to the crate closed; do you use training pads?

We used to put two pads just in front of Loki's crate at night and he started coming out to use the pad.

He was around 10 weeks old when we started this.