Anyone using Performatrin Ultra Grain Free?

suebee

Reaction score
I am trying to find a good kibble for Frankie. He appears to have issues with grains. I switched him from Royal Canin and went with grain-free and no more foot chewing! But I am concerned about getting the right food. My sister has her toy fox terriers on the Performatrin, but Frankie is not crazy about it. I had tried Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost, but think the protein level was way too high - no matter what he had gooey poos that never would firm up. On Performatrin his poops are much better - he just isn't thrilled about eating. I was thinking of GO!, but was told by the pet store that it is for very active dogs - it is also higher protein. The first 5 ingredients are meats/meals. But it also has high calcium (2.2%) Is that good or bad? One breeder online said Frenchies should not have calcium levels higher than 1.0-1.2%. My other thought was Fromm. No where can I find affirmative information as to what protein, fat, carbs, calcium, phosphorus levels I should be looking for.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION]..... may have some insight, I have never heard of this brand

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Have you considered a raw diet?
Its the healthiest thing you can do for your dog!
We used to feed Go! Before switching to raw and I think Go ! is a good quality food. Well as good as kibble can be :p
But Maple was a tiny pup and had looots of energy so yes,she was and still is an active dog.

suebee

Reaction score
[MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION]..... may have some insight, I have never heard of this brand

Performatrin Ultra Grain Free is sold at Pet Valu stores only. It is made in Canada and is very similar to GO! but less expensive. It's listed as a holistic food, and has 5 stars on DOGFOODADVISOR.COM

Last edited:

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like an excellent food but this is the first I've heard of it. If it is a newer brand of food I would be hesitant, as reputation is very important.

It also looks to be high in protein as well. Fromm is a lower protein food. Plus Fromm has a great rep, been around 100 years with no recalls, no ingredients sourced from china, and seems to do really well with the bulldog breed and their skin issues. I say go for the Fromm! If you cannot find it local you can always get it from petflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Go is a good food and we have tried it before, but we use FROMM 4 star grain free foods now.

suebee

Reaction score
Is protein an issue with this breed? Protein and calcium seems much higher in grain free with Fromm being around 30%+ protein and Go! near 40% which seems a huge difference. Also, any issues with protein coming from plants vs meats? I understand Fromm uses lots of peas, chickpeas etc in their top ingredients as proteins but so many people have great success with this brand and reccommend it. Go! lists their top 5 ingredients as meats but also has one of the highest calcium/phosphorus levels that I've seen. I dont read labels this thoroughly for myself! :D

pbois

Reaction score
I'm not a firm believer in a lot of the foods that are high in protein/phosphorus/calcium myself. I've seen too many puppies/dogs with high liver and kidney enzymes on some of these popularly marketed foods that are geared toward that. My opinion is that there is just not a need for that much protein in a dog that lays around my house. My working Labs we give an energy food with 30% - 32% protein.....but only when they are in training or are running hunting tests heavily and that level of protein helps them stay in good weight. Having said that I do agree that Fromm is a great choice of a brand.....I just went toward the variety that I was comfortable with those levels. My Frenchie and one of my Labs is on the Salmon A La Veg and they are doing well on that.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I read in a French Bulldog book that they should get 22 - 28% protein with growing puppies getting a little bit more.

winginit66

Reaction score
We feed Blue Wilderness. I also home cook. The Blue comes in Chicken, Salmon and Duck.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure on the whole protein argument. I think it's more of what sources the protein comes from, not the level. For example, soy has very high protein but is a cheap and easy way to boost the protein level in a dog food. The sources of proteins that make them more digestible is what is important. Named meats and meals that are human grade and not by products bring one of the most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk