Eating sticks/mulch

carter78

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

We have a 1.5 year-old Frenchie with a history of eating mulch and wood/sticks. He had stomach surgery, not quite a year ago, to remove a wood chip that he couldn't pass or regurgitate. He seemed to grow out of it eventually, until we moved to a place with a new backyard and lots of "edibles." We've fenced off some of the yard, and removed a lot of mulch but it's impossible to contain the sticks, etc. that fall in the yard. Training to "leave it" is only going so far and he can't help himself.

Any experience or tips to prevent this habit? Is this as common as the vet says? One of the reasons we wanted a nice, big backyard is because of him. :eek:hmy:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
My female bulldog who is the same age ears the mulch as well. Jax my Frenchie does sometimes. They seem to like it more when it’s “fresh.” My male bulldog doesn’t like the mulch but he did like the big bark chips. Thankfully I’ve never had an issue but I don’t think it’s uncommon that they eat it. I don’t have a solution other than chasing them away when I see them do it and swipe it out of their mouths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a tough one... only way is what Citty mentioned... stay on top of him.

Sorry

lisamarie

Reaction score
We have the same issue with our two Frenchies. Trying to stay on top of them is daunting but it’s the only way we’ve found[emoji21][emoji21] we have trees that line our property so picking up sticks is my full time gig, and I can’t actually get em all…not to mention the acorns! Our dogs are 2 & 4 and haven’t “grown out” if it so for now I have gotten quite good at removing things from their tiny clenched mouths[emoji2356][emoji2356]

carter78

Reaction score
Thank you all. Knowing we’re not alone helps!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Unfortunately some do love to eat mulch and sticks. You just have to stay on them and take it away as soon as they get ti.