French Bulldogs as Service Animals

VivaLaFrenchie

Reaction score
:welcome2:
Hi, I'm Wendy. I have rescued, bought from breeders, taken in strays as well as dogs with "issues" others thought deemed them "pound worthy". I have loved and been loved by over 200 dogs in my blessed life. For the 1st time in my almost 50 years I have no dog at the present time. My Great Dane passed a few months back and I am lost without my four-legged kid. I decided to get a breed I have never had and embark on a journey all new.I am going to get a French Bulldog and along with training as an Emotional Support animal I am hoping to also train her as a Diabetic Service Dog. Wish me and my Isabella-Jolie (to be) best of luck.
I would love to have a spot where those who have trained/are training or (like me) wanting to learn from those experienced with Emotional Support/Service French Bulldogs.
I won't be getting my baby girl till next year but believe a Great Fur Parent does their research and preparation. I have read its harder for smushy(short snouted) dogs to be diabetic service animals but not impossible. That's what I will be attempting with my baby girl when I get her. I am hoping and praying she might also be one of those 1 in a million dogs that can detect migraines as well (knowing that is not something that can be trained for). She will be my emotional support animal even if the diabetic training isn't something she is able to do.
I would love to hear and get to know about your special babies and what you have taught them to do. Hints you may have for training, locations/websites you may have found helpful etc.....

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!! Best of luck in your journey... we have a member on our sister site that just had her Bulldog complete service training. He is our helper and does incredibly well... he knows he is ‘working ‘ when his harness is on and knows he can play when it is off.

Training is everything for this toll so do all the research you can to find the rich facility for you and your new baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Welcome! Your pup is gorgeous! I don't know about this kind of training but it sounds like you're doing all the right research for it. Wally only has had puppy classes and intermediate but no training since then. It definitely shows, but I love him anyway! :D

VivaLaFrenchie

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Squishy-my avatar is of the pup I would like to eventually get. 2Bullymama- yes I am also researching breeders in the TX area. I want to find one that will be willing to help with the scent training as far as having the puppy smell the "scent cup" each time before feeding from the mom. I am also wanting one close enough that I could go over and work with them for about 30-45 min on the weekends untill she is weaned and ready to come home.. I am definitely committed to this.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Squishy-my avatar is of the pup I would like to eventually get. 2Bullymama- yes I am also researching breeders in the TX area. I want to find one that will be willing to help with the scent training as far as having the puppy smell the "scent cup" each time before feeding from the mom. I am also wanting one close enough that I could go over and work with them for about 30-45 min on the weekends untill she is weaned and ready to come home.. I am definitely committed to this.

best of luck to you... [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION], may be able to help with your search. Contact him via PM