How bad 'rawhides' really are..

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
My boss has been working on a rawhide article & I feel I should share the knowledge on here.
Some people may wonder why I only give fresh bones & hooves to my guys to chew on. I dont give anything processed because I believe in fresh & species appropriate but also because I want to avoid all carcinogens and other chemicals & toxins.

Some people on here dont use rawhides, some might, but I know quite a few people browse this forum,so here we go :

People believe rawhides are dried meat. They are a by-product of the beef industry. In reality,they are a by product of the leather industry.
After the animal has been slaughtered, the hide is send to a tannery. There it immediately gets a chemical bath to help preserve it.
Then the hide is treated with another chemical to make it expand.
Next stop is a ash-lye solution or sodium sulphite bath,to get rid of all the hair.Then the outer layer is split apart from the inner layer. The outer layer will be used for car seats, purses or other leather items. The inner part will be used for 'rawhides'. (I say 'raw' because really,there is nothing raw about this anymore).
The 'rawhide' will be washed with bleach to whiten it. Afterwards it needs a nice 'bacon/meaty' color, often the dangerous dye Red 40 is used.
Since the FDA does not consider 'rawhides' food, there are zero regulations and the manufacturer can pretty much use any chemical, toxic dye etc without any consequences. Other than our pets health of course!

It makes me so mad because a lot of people thing rawhides are a great chew, but they arent. There is a huge risk of a rawhide causing intestinal blockage because it expands inside the stomach. Also,ever wonder what happens if you boil a rawhide for 5-10 mins? It turns into a super sticky goo, or should I say glue. Not something you want to have inside your dog..
Please never,ever feed those 'treats'. They are soaked in chemicals and toxins & can cause potential blockages...

Tgirl

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this info. Rawhides are SO dangerous!

blushy

Reaction score
Amazing article! I shared a link to this to a good friend who uses rawhides!

I /used/ to feed our old dog rawhides, and my in-laws use them cause they're cheap. But they use cheap dog food, too. :/

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
My boss has been working on a rawhide article & I feel I should share the knowledge on here.
Some people may wonder why I only give fresh bones & hooves to my guys to chew on. I dont give anything processed because I believe in fresh & species appropriate but also because I want to avoid all carcinogens and other chemicals & toxins.

Some people on here dont use rawhides, some might, but I know quite a few people browse this forum,so here we go :

People believe rawhides are dried meat. They are a by-product of the beef industry. In reality,they are a by product of the leather industry.
After the animal has been slaughtered, the hide is send to a tannery. There it immediately gets a chemical bath to help preserve it.
Then the hide is treated with another chemical to make it expand.
Next stop is a ash-lye solution or sodium sulphite bath,to get rid of all the hair.Then the outer layer is split apart from the inner layer. The outer layer will be used for car seats, purses or other leather items. The inner part will be used for 'rawhides'. (I say 'raw' because really,there is nothing raw about this anymore).
The 'rawhide' will be washed with bleach to whiten it. Afterwards it needs a nice 'bacon/meaty' color, often the dangerous dye Red 40 is used.
Since the FDA does not consider 'rawhides' food, there are zero regulations and the manufacturer can pretty much use any chemical, toxic dye etc without any consequences. Other than our pets health of course!

It makes me so mad because a lot of people thing rawhides are a great chew, but they arent. There is a huge risk of a rawhide causing intestinal blockage because it expands inside the stomach. Also,ever wonder what happens if you boil a rawhide for 5-10 mins? It turns into a super sticky goo, or should I say glue. Not something you want to have inside your dog..
Please never,ever feed those 'treats'. They are soaked in chemicals and toxins & can cause potential blockages...
[MENTION=377]MaplesMommy[/MENTION] Excellent information!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Great info, thanks for sharing. :2thumbs:

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I already read this article on Facebook. My vet posted it. GREAT information! Thanks for sharing it on here.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
So glad you posted this. Honestly I can't believe they are still on the market. 25 years ago I learned the hard way and lost a bull terrier who got the rawhide soft and tried to swallow it. It ripped her esophagus and there was nothing that could be done so we had to put down our little 15 mos. old Molly. It was awful.
Recently I was at Petco and the woman in front of me in line had a huge rawhide bone she was buying for her puppy. I talked her out of it and just felt I had to warn her of the dangers of this awful product.

Chiana

Reaction score
Uh! Soooo glad you posted this! That's it for rawhides for Moses. We actually had a slight episode today with pig nose rawhide treats. Mo normally chews them quite long and is always under supervision.

Anyhow, today we were watching a movie and I gave that treat to him and watched him with another eye. Suddenly I noticed that the whole thing was gone! I should have known better, since now when he is on cortisone meds his appetite is endless.
Mo's stomach got all swollen and he was breathing heavy. No need to say that a full panic was loose!
We took him outside for fresh air and walked him slowly. After a while he pooped the longest poop I have ever seen and was farting the rest of the evening.

Luckily all is back to normal now. Phew! But this certainly was a final wake up call. I also showed this thread to my boyfriend and we will never again give such things to our precious little guy.

chubbybunnymax

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I heard rawhides were bad but never knew how bad!
Maximus once received a bag of rawhides as a gift. I immediately threw them out of course.

Mavis

Reaction score
Uh! Soooo glad you posted this! That's it for rawhides for Moses. We actually had a slight episode today with pig nose rawhide treats. Mo normally chews them quite long and is always under supervision.

Anyhow, today we were watching a movie and I gave that treat to him and watched him with another eye. Suddenly I noticed that the whole thing was gone! I should have known better, since now when he is on cortisone meds his appetite is endless.
Mo's stomach got all swollen and he was breathing heavy. No need to say that a full panic was loose!
We took him outside for fresh air and walked him slowly. After a while he pooped the longest poop I have ever seen and was farting the rest of the evening.

Luckily all is back to normal now. Phew! But this certainly was a final wake up call. I also showed this thread to my boyfriend and we will never again give such things to our precious little guy.

Chiana, that happened to us, too. Gave Bambi one of the small "stick" rawhides, which she loved. First time ever. After a moment I asked my husband what she had done with the rawhide because all of a sudden it was gone. She had uncurled it and swallowed the whole piece. I was a wreck. She didn't eat her dinner that night or breakfast but by dinner time she was okay. Posted about it on here and found out that they are actually really bad. Never again. So glad Moses is okay!

Jakeyjake, so sorry about Molly. That is heartbreaking.

Chiana

Reaction score
Chiana, that happened to us, too. Gave Bambi one of the small "stick" rawhides, which she loved. First time ever. After a moment I asked my husband what she had done with the rawhide because all of a sudden it was gone. She had uncurled it and swallowed the whole piece. I was a wreck. She didn't eat her dinner that night or breakfast but by dinner time she was okay. Posted about it on here and found out that they are actually really bad. Never again. So glad Moses is okay!

Jakeyjake, so sorry about Molly. That is heartbreaking.

Those things certainly should be banned. We have went through each corner in our house to make sure there isn't any left and threw away all that was found.
We have got a new set of "fresh" bone chews for mo. He even seems to like them more...no wonder.

hannah

Reaction score
woah woah woah I did NOT know all this!