Licking of feet

Ruth

Reaction score
Hi, I’m Ruth and I have a male Frenchie called Norman. He’s just one years old and started licking and itching. His feet a lot came on here to see if there’s any general advice for this besides Vets.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi, I’m Ruth and I have a male Frenchie called Norman. He’s just one years old and started licking and itching. His feet a lot came on here to see if there’s any general advice for this besides Vets.

Welcome!

What do you feed him??

The licking and itchy paws are allergies.

Rusty also has bad allergies, and I feed him raw diet and rotate thru all the proteins he currently is not allergic to.

For environmental allergies, I give him Four Leaf Rover brand Bovine Colostrum which really helps with the itch and hives and paw licking.
You give it 30 minutes BEFORE you give him breakfast as it’s better absorbed on empty stomach. You just put the powder in the dish by itself and they lick it up. That really works I find, of course every dog is different but I highly recommend giving that a try as it really helps environmental allergies.
Rusty actually had to see a dermatologist for the severe allergies, but bovine colostrum made a big difference for his environmental allergies, and the Raw diet really helped his food allergies.

If you want to only feed kibble these are the ones I recommend:

-Natures Logic
-Carna 4

Both Natures logic and Carna 4 are synthetic free and have probiotics in it, but Natires Logic is easier to find and it come in Sardine, rabbit and many other proteins to rotate thru.

I definitely recommend avoiding Chicken as it’s the most common food allergy.

I also recommend AVOIDING these brands as they are all fillers/garbage:
-Purina
-Hills
-Royal Canin
-science diet
-eukanuba
-blue Buffalo
-Anything from vet or grocery store Avoid.

Those foods cause many health issues including allergies. If you want to feed her kibble I would recommend Natures Logic or Carna 4.

Probiotics are really good for allergies too. Same with omegas, the only omega oil I give Rusty is Four Leaf Rover Safe Sea oil as its green lipped mussel oil and doesn’t go rancid like fish oil which can cause inflammation which you want to avoid.

Definitely recommend trying the Bovine Colostrum and raw diet if your open to it? What do you currently feed her?

If she is really itchy, you can give her a bath with a by quality dog shampoo like 4 Legger shampoo or Legendary canine shampoo bars.

One other thing I recommend avoiding is Apoquel and Cytopoint and Atopica and Benadryl cause they all suppress the immune system for the symptoms but it’s actually causes many other health issues and once the dog is on it it’s hard to get the dog off it. One of my other dogs was on apoquel and it caused tumours and the vet told us it’s from the apoquel. Cause they have no immune system when given apoquel, cytopoint, and atopica and Benadryl.

I found the bovine colostrum actually more effective than the Apoquel and bovine colostrum is really good immune booster, and if it doesn’t help it doesn’t harm. My dog that was on apoquel that got tumours and cancer from it, she still was itching and chewing paws that she still needed the cone on and then we put her on bovine colostrum and took her off apoquel and no cone anymore and no more licking or chewing her paws raw.
Rusty’s hives is minimal from allergies with the bovine colostrum and raw diet too.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN.... it could be a number of things ... wipe their paws when you bring them in from outside, just a warm wash cloth, this will help if they are allergic to grass, weeds, etc. Also, as mentioned by Rustysowner... food can be an issues

Ruth

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN.... it could be a number of things ... wipe their paws when you bring them in from outside, just a warm wash cloth, this will help if they are allergic to grass, weeds, etc. Also, as mentioned by Rustysowner... food can be an issues
I do feel that’s nearer the issue than food he’s been fine all through winter and started this just over a month ago so thank you 😊