Meet Mochi Menchie the Frenchie!

pmenchavez

Reaction score
0145B136-18DA-4206-996F-97663829098E.jpeg
My name is Perla and my sweet Frenchie is Mochi, who is 3 years old (born Sept. 2017). She has had quite a year with IVDD back issues, which I understand is common with Frenchies. She's had two spinal surgeries for herniated discs in Oct. 2019 and again in Oct 2020. She had quite a severe case the first time with 2 adjacent herniated discs with a long recovery and a less severe case this second time with a quick recovery. We need to institute lifestyle changes to prevent re-injury. Sadly she won't be able to run wild and free with other dogs as she tends to trip and tumble. We also need to prevent her from jumping up onto and down from couches and she can no longer run up and down the staircase. We carry her now. This is quite a lifestyle change for her, but I know it's what we need to do. Mochi has been through so much but is still the sweetest friendliest pup who has been right by my side this whole pandemic. I love her SOOOO much!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! She is a cutie! Jax has IVDD as well, still able to walk. His first surgery was in July 2017, then 2nd one a year later. Knock on wood, he’s been good since then but can herniate a disc at any time. Like you, we carry him up and down the stairs and try to stop him from jumping on and off the couch as much as we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Mochi is adorable! Stella also has IVDD and has had 2 surgeries. She is able to walk, but is weak in her left back leg. We keep the stairs blocked off and carry her if need be. She used to love to play fetch at the beach but she is just too crazy so sadly that has ended. Also any toys that she can shake with her head have been put away so she doesn't injure her neck.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN!! What a beautiful girl

Seems many of us are in this boat... carrying up/down stairs, short walks every other day and no jumping on/off furniture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pmenchavez

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! It's sad how common IVDD is in Frenchies. The stories sound very familiar but am willing to do what's necessary to keep my little girl healthy. Good thing she's only 15 lbs as I carry her up and down stairs!