New frenchie owner needing advice.

Cdawes

Reaction score
Bit of background story. We bought our pup at 6 months old, he had previously been owned by a lady who worked all day so he was left. He is now 7. 5 months old. We have several problems....

- he still is not house trained. I am home all day and still cannot get him to tell me he needs to wee. I let him out every time he leaves crate, feeds, drinks, plays etc. My previous dog only took about 4 months and would always tell me. The frenchie doesn't bother.

-he was never put in a crate. I have him in a crate which he hates. He wakes several times during the night, howling, crying etc. Add 3 young children to the mix, it's not good.

- he won't go for a wee on his own, he has to be physically taken outside and I have to wait there.

- I think he has some sort of separation anxiety. Ideas to improve this. I am home most of the day every day so it's not like I'm not here much!

Thanks for any help

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN!

Crate at night... place a dirty tshirt with your scent on it to help him settle in.

Potty training.. just being honest, the can be very stubborn... our guy was two full years before he ‘got it’. Schedule and consistency is everything .. all in home have to follow all the same steps.

Bulldogs in general are Velcro dogs and want to be with their humans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
As Christine say above, they can be stubborn, and it will take a long time to potty train, especially if one was not taught it at an early stage, which sounds like what happened with your guy. Be patient, and very consistent with him. After he plays, eats, wakes up, or just about every our or two, take him out. If you have to take him out on a leash and keep telling him, "go potty" or what ever word you use. Eventually he will finally "get it". Crate him at night and if he still cries, try putting the crate in your room next to you bed. This should help with the separation anxiety. Once he gets used to this and gets older, then you can try putting him in his room. Hope all this helps, and just be patient with him, he will finally settle down and realize this is his permanent home.