Spinal issues and laser therapy

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
On Tuesday afternoon Cheli very suddenly started having issues walking up the stairs, moving his neck, walking with what I'll call a hunched back. We went to the vet that night and they did the once over.... full exam, x-rays, etc. Since it was an emergency visit, it was not our normal vet, but it was another of our favs, she ADORES Cheli and knowing all that, I cold tell she was concerned, more than the normal vet concern. Lily stated the lack of reflex response in his hind legs had her nervous and she wanted to do x-rays. When she showed us his x-rays, as she is pointing and telling us where the issues are... in my head I am saying 'this is what Banks had'.... so he is diagnosed with fused vertebrae and beginning formation of arthritis. The difference in what he has and Banks had is the location of the fusing... Banks was middle to lower back, Cheli is upper back which is causing the hunching and neck issues.

We went back on Wednesday afternoon as she wanted to see him again, do another exam and we wanted our vet to also know what was going on so we totally got lucky that they were scheduled together that next day. Joe did everything that Dr. Rossignlli did and Cheli responded much better, but not fully.... reflexes were back, hunching was still visible but not as pronounced and his neck was more flexible, not as stiff. We spent about 20 minutes talking and we will follow all we did with Banks which places us at the beginning with him for pain management and laser therapy. Cheli is 5 years old and about 25 lbs so his meds for 2 weeks are steroids (anti-inflammatory), seven days of gabapetin (blocks pain signal to the brain) and 5 days of methocarbamol (muscle relaxant) and no play, running, jumping or stairs for two full weeks.... keeping a Frenchie down is not an easy task at all
facepalm.gif
His laser treatments have started and at first you do three days in a row, then go every other day for a week, then they work you up to one a month or as needed based on pain/behavior/signs.... you just call and make an additional appointment.

Overall, he should be fine and lead a normal life just as Banks did, but it is all pain management, weight control and being in tune with the signs that you need to adjust something in the treatment, the toughest thing right now is he is to have no activity till the swelling is gone and we get him on the right med cocktail to keep it under control.

I am somewhat concerned about him because of the location of the fusing, banks just walked slower or was not as agile she never lost reflexes or hunched her back so, I think Cheli's is more concerning -- I have to ask, but maybe he could get some level of paralysis? Not sure, and it was not mentioned, just being a nervous nellie or cautious mama.... depending on how you look at it. If you could send the little gnat some positive thoughts --- it would be most appreciate.

IMG_1642.jpg

I am giving Banks' story (short version - post on EBN to help a member) just to add more info to those that might gain from it.

My Banks had a similar issue for most of her life.... she had butterfly vertebrae and arthritis all diagnosed at are 2 or 3 years old. We did pain management with medicine and laser therapy.... her three main meds were tramadol, derramaxx and gabapetin --- the Gapapetin came in around her 6th birthday. Dosage of the meds changed as she needed, increase one, decrease the other... it was all managed by her behavior and activity level. After the first year of all the meds, my vet would give me 90 supply and I would text him (personal cell) whenever I had a question or needed guidance... sometimes it would end up with 'Bring her in tomorrow, I want to get a look', but for the most part you'll be able to get in a grove and know when to adjust as necessary. The laser was a GOD send for her, we totally noticed a difference within the third or forth treatment and once she was on the once a month treatment we could see when she was ready for it. Banks needed the entire spine done and her hips as years went by, but she LOVED her treatments and the vet techs looked forward to her coming in.... she lay on the floor and just let them do the 'spa' treatment on her.... each session (the once a month session) varies in time depending on your feedback of how she is doing... winter months were tough for our girl so those sessions tended to be more near the 40 min mark, but normal sessions were only about 20-25 mins. One other thing.... weight, be sure to keep her weight down, we had to be VERY careful with Banks as she was a big girl.. t one point she was 70lbs, but we got her to hold steady for most of her life at 58-62 lbs, which was perfect for her and the condition.

Banks... my snow leopard :angelheart:
banks snow 1.2013 006 (2).jpg

Last edited:

KimB3384

Reaction score
Good vibes coming your way!!!! You got this, Cheli!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Sending good vibes and prayers for Cheli. Our EB Mack's spine fused also, but it started in the bottom and his strength was in his front so he never was handicapped from it. The hardest thing is going to be keeping him inactive while the swelling goes down. :heart:

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this ans sending good vibes his way. You are right, trying to keep a Frenchie quiet is a chore. Please keep us posted on his progress, and give him a hug from us. :heart:

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this :(

Sending lots of good energy your way! Poor little fella!

hannah

Reaction score
So so so sorry to hear this. Thinking about you guys! Keep us posted every step of the way ❤

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Karla9895

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this :(
Positive thoughts your way
I'll be praying for you and your family members :heart::heart:

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. Lots of healing vibes coming your way. Poor Cheli.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wow, poor Cheli I can't believe that came out of nowhere! Hopeuflly with the pain meds he will feel better and it won't be as hunched, perhaps something set it off to begin with, and he's still in pain response mode, but as it improves he will be back to normal and you will only need to maintain him. Hugs.... :hug:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor baby! Sending positive and happy thoughts your way!

mhuinker

Reaction score
Awww, Poor little Cheli Boy. :( Sending thoughts and prayers for his recovery!!!

WeeDex

Reaction score
Poor thing..... I hope the pain meds provide relief for him. Sending good vibes to all :)

blushy

Reaction score
Oh no! Poor Cheli! He's such a sweet boy.

I'm sure with once he's done with the steroids, and muscle relaxers and his "big" laser treatment (the days in a row one) he will be feeling a LOT better!

Sending all my good thoughts and love your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk